information on Tennessee child support laws

Default Info on Child Support Laws in Tennessee

I would like to find out what the laws in Tennessee say about getting back child support from the time they are born til the time the father finally decides he wants his rights. My daughter was born in 1991 in which her father knew about her but didn't have anything to do with her until 1999. Between that time I'd like to find out since he knew about her is there a law that states that he has to pay back child support for the first 8 years of her life. Please help me. Thanks

Default Retroactive Child Support

It depends upon the circumstance. Has paternity ever been established, and if so, how? Has there ever been a support or parenting time order?

Yes, paternity was established in 1999...but he did call during the time she was born til 1999 wanting to know how she was and different things....he knew she was his daughter during that time....He had the DNA done just to make sure the courts knew.........yes, support was established in 1999 and also again in 2001......he had visitation on every sat which was established in 1999 but I took him back to court for back arrearage in 2001 and it was established that he got every other weekend starting at 10pm on friday nite til sat at 6pm....she does not like staying overnite with him but she knows she has to right now.....Can you give me any information as to where I need to look on the internet for the laws about the back child support from the time she was born til 1999? I know there has to be a way that I can get back child support even tho the judge denied it. I'd also like to know the reasoning behind the judges decision if there is a rule or law stating no back child support> Thanks

Default Revisiting Past Support

You cannot ordinarily get retroactive support, once the initial support order has been issued. That is, if you petition for a modification of support, any modification will not ordinarily be retroactive past the date of the petition.

If he owes an arrearage based upon a prior support order, that arrearage may be enforced.

Default Still need answers in Tennessee

Even tho he knew about her between 1991 and 1999, I still can't get child support......in 1999, he hired the attorney which I did not understand alot of what was going on between him and his lawyer....I was not advised to get a lawyer and did not know what was going to happen....I did not understand the paper work that I signed in 1999 regarding all the child support and visitation rights. I feel like I was taken advantage of with what happened. He paid the attorney and picked his own attorney and I feel like I was manipulated into signing the papers. Now, I know more about child support and child visitation then I did back then (1999) and I feel that I have a case against his lawyer and him for not advising me to get a lawyer. I know his lawyer (after reading and researching since 2001 when I found out that I was denied child support for 1991-1991) told him that as long as he could control me with getting me to sign the papers and promising me things that he wouldn't have to pay back child support from 1991-1999 as long as he got me to sign the papers in 1999 in front of a judge. I feel like I have been taken advantage of since he had a lawyer he paid for and I didn't have one. Is there anyway things can be changed around from the judge's decision? Please let me know.....Thanks

Default Info on Tennessee child support laws

I have written this before with no reply but I would like to get the information I need.....

Aaron.......If he knew about her between 1991 & 1999, why can't I still get back child support? If you'll read what I wrote on April 30, 2005 you'll know what I am talking about....Thank you....Could use all the help I can get.

Default No Retroactive Modification of Support

Because that is the law. You cannot ordinarily get retroactive support, once the initial support order has been issued. That is, if you petition for a modification of support, any modification will not ordinarily be retroactive past the date of the petition.

Under the tennessee child support guidelines father is liable for child support from the birth of the child whether or not he knows about the child or recognizes his paternity. You my be required to take a dna test.
    Look at the case of Redmond v Hurst a 2004 Tennessee case where a woman was pregnant by Cletidus Hunt a Green Bay Packer player.

Whoever aaron is he is an idiot and knows notheing about tennessee child wupport law

Default Welcome to the forum, Joree Brownlow

Joree, nice way to introduce yourself to the forum... Rude, insulting and inaccurate.

The case you mention is "Redmond v Hunt", not "Redmond v Hurst". The court recites,
    Quote Quoting Redmond v Hunt
    In 1999, Father completed college and entered into a six-year, multi-million dollar contract to play professional football for the Green Bay Packers. Mother works part-time at a salary of approximately $ 14,000 per year and has another minor child from another relationship. She receives no child support from this child's Father, nor has she sought support. T.L. has been in Mother's exclusive custody since birth.
    My specific comment related to retroactive modification of support where a support order already exists between the parents ("You cannot ordinarily get retroactive support, once the initial support order has been issued."). If you have relevant authority to cite which permits retroactive modification of any prior child support order, please present it.

Quote Quoting 42 USC 666(a)(9)
    (9) Procedures which require that any payment or installment of support under any child support order, whether ordered through the State judicial system or through the expedited processes required by paragraph (2), is (on and after the date it is due)—
    • (A) a judgment by operation of law, with the full force, effect, and attributes of a judgment of the State, including the ability to be enforced,
    • (B) entitled as a judgment to full faith and credit in such State and in any other State, and
    • (C) not subject to retroactive modification by such State or by any other State;
    except that such procedures may permit modification with respect to any period during which there is pending a petition for modification, but only from the date that notice of such petition has been given, either directly or through the appropriate agent, to the obligee or (where the obligee is the petitioner) to the obligor.

1. Sponsored Links