Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default My Boyfriend is a Felon - How Can This Affect Custody in My Divorce

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: Michigan - My current boyfriend has a possession of a concealed weapon being a fire arm. He did not have the correct paperwork for the fire arm he had in his possession because it was stolen. He served a 60 day jail term with 2 years of probation. It has been almost ten years since the incident. I have not been living with my soon to be ex for nine months and i have been with my current boyfriend for two months. My soon to be ex has a warrant out for his arrest for back child support, and currently has no job. He has a fairly clean record with traffic tickets on it only. I am currently getting help through the womens resource with housing because I had to leave. Currently we share custody of the three kids who are 12,8,5. My question is how would my boyfriends past record effect the outcome of the custody part of my divorce? I want full custody of my kids.

Default Re: Boyfriend is a Felon How Can This Effect Custody in My Divorce

This is all assumptions but: I would think that unless the ex or his lawyer knows your current bf's record, there is no way for that to affect your case. Since the ex has a record (even as little as not paying child support) that'll only benefit you. I'm sure that you will be primary care giver to the children, but you need to show stability.

I do have a question though: why do you feel that the father of the kids shouldn't have any custody of the kids? Has he been abusive? Neglectful? What is sounds to me is that you are just really being vengeful... instead of seeing what is best for your children.

Most likely, unless the father is totally unfit, he will possbily get up to 50/50... otherwise either every weekend or every other weekend.

I highly suggest you get on your own two feet and not be so closely associated with your bf only because if something else happens, and you children are around when/if he gets in trouble again (like a felony for illegal weapon possession)... you will lose!!

My soon to be ex is a drug addict and an alcholic. He is also verbally abusesive towards me.

I highly doubt that my current boy friend would ever get caught up in something like that again. He has way too much to lose himself. I doubt he is going to give up his job for something that stupid. He makes well over 75k a year.

Can you show he would be directly endangering the children?

Full (sole) custody is highly unlikely unless there are somewhat exceptional circumstances.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Default Re: My Boyfriend is a Felon - How Can This Affect Custody in My Divorce

the only way your boyfriend could affect you getting custidy is if your bf is living with you. an sleeps in the same bed as you. judges now days look down on that. because you aren't married to him. it would become an issue if brought to the judges attention.an his record does come into play. if brought to the judges attention.

Quote Quoting PSCALES
    View Post
    the only way your boyfriend could affect you getting custidy is if your bf is living with you. an sleeps in the same bed as you. judges now days look down on that. because you aren't married to him. it would become an issue if brought to the judges attention.an his record does come into play. if brought to the judges attention.

Um...no.

This is not accurate at all.

Do not microwave grapes

yes what i said is very true. i went through this years ago. i brought it to the judges attention that another woman was living in his home. that he was not married to. it comes into play because the judge takes it as its not good for children to be put in this type of situation. on on that fact alone i got custidy of all three of my children. if these type of things are brought to the judges attention they become a factor in child custidy.

Quote Quoting PSCALES
    View Post
    yes what i said is very true. i went through this years ago. i brought it to the judges attention that another woman was living in his home. that he was not married to. it comes into play because the judge takes it as its not good for children to be put in this type of situation. on on that fact alone i got custidy of all three of my children. if these type of things are brought to the judges attention they become a factor in child custidy.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that you got custody BASED SOLELY on the fact that your ex was living with another woman? Who he wasn't married to?

Seriously?

WHEN exactly was your divorce? And which state?

Do not microwave grapes

in Virginia an he was married to me. like i said judges now do not go for men an woman living together when there not married. its not the inviroment an situation they want to put children into. an we were not divorced until a year later. the childrens well being is what the judge take under concideration

Quote Quoting PSCALES
    View Post
    in Virginia an he was married to me. like i said judges now do not go for men an woman living together when there not married. its not the inviroment an situation they want to put children into. an we were not divorced until a year later. the childrens well being is what the judge take under concideration

I can virtually guarantee you that you did NOT obtain custody based SOLELY on your husband living with someone he wasn't married to.

While it is absolutely true that the judge will decide a case based upon the best interests of the child, it is NOT necessarily true that cohabitation will be held against a parent. Even in Georgia.

Think about it. While a "no paramour" clause is often possible during the divorce proceeding, restricting the actions of one parent AFTER that proceeding just isn't happening.

Do not microwave grapes

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast