Default Body-Only Warrant

My question involves an arrest warrant from the State of: Minnesota

I am scheduled to begin a 10 day sentence at a Minnesota county jail on Monday, Feb 1st. I have asked to reschedule to due a family emergency, but have been denied. I was told a body-only warrant would be issued if I did not appear. Will they come and get me immediately or will I have the opportunity to turn myself in? Will the sentence be more severe?

Default Re: Body-Only Warrant

If they have to come and get you, it may be at the most embarrassing or inconvenient time.

If you fail to turn yourself in, you can pretty much guarantee that any future court appearances for any reason will result in harsh penalties or severe bail - being released on your own recognizance will likely never happen again.

As for the "family emergency" that is such an overused excuse that it tends to be discounted. It is hardly an "emergency" when you predict it several days away.

I recall one day at court when I sat in on sentencing. Of the five people sentenced that day, three claimed to have some form of medical emergency involving family members. Upon even minor questioning by the judge it was determined quickly that the "emergency" was not, that others could handle the matter, and that it was clearly an excuse to delay the inevitable. I strongly suspect that your local court has seen much the same thing.

If you do not attend court, expect the police to come a-knocking at any time and prepare to live like a fugitive.

Good luck.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

Thanks for the response. Do you think they would come and get me immediately? I would definitely turn myself in. In your opinion, would the sentence get more severe? Thanks again!!!

Quote Quoting radardr9
    View Post
    Thanks for the response. Do you think they would come and get me immediately? I would definitely turn myself in. In your opinion, would the sentence get more severe? Thanks again!!!
    The sentence MIGHT be more severe, but it sounds like you have already been sentenced to the ten days.

Now, if your ten days was part of a plea deal, if you fail to appear you can kiss the plea goodbye and you could face the FULL penalty for the offense for which you were sentenced.

I am not sure whether your state has a separate penalty for failing to appear on such matters or not. But, it is certainly something to consider.

Whether they will come for you right away, I don't know. Probably not. But, if it's a small town or they (or the judge) is miffed at you, they might head right there.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

Quote Quoting cdwjava
    View Post
    Whether they will come for you right away, I don't know. Probably not. But, if it's a small town or they (or the judge) is miffed at you, they might head right there.
    The bottom line...

At many facilities they allow you to self-surrender with some personal items. The "body only" expression might mean that when they come for you, they won't be taking your toothbrush, a picture of your kids or your Bible.

Thanks for the response Papi. I just can't believe they would come and get me ASAP considering they have a backup of warrants to serve. Just not sure if the sentence would be more severe. I would hate to get 60 days because I didn't show.

And never forget, if they take you on the street and you have something on you that you should not have (e.g. firearm, drugs, counterfeit money, etc.), then you have just exponentially elevated your problems.

1. Sponsored Links