Default 2-Way Stop Right-Of-Way Law

I'm curious about the actual law in the following situation because I keeping hearing different answers from people.

An East-bound vehicle (Vehicle A) approaches a two-way stop with cross-traffic (North and Southbound) that does not have any stop signs. Vehicle A intends to turn left. Vehicle A waits for cross-traffic to clear so they can make their turn. If a second vehicle (Vehicle B) that is West-bound approaches the intersection well after Vehicle A and intends to go straight, which vehicle has the right-of-way once the cross-traffic is clear? Is it the vehicle who arrived first (Vehicle A) or the vehicle going straight (Vehicle B)?

Default Re: 2-Way Stop Right-Of-Way Law

where I come from the biggest vehicle has ROW so who had the biggest vehicle?

I didn't really get into your post because traffic laws vary by state and you didn't mention yours so, if there is a question that is state specific (which is likely), nobody can answer your question.

It depends on how far vehicle B is from the intersection and whether vehicle A can clear out of Vehicle B's way without interfering with its forward movement.

Vehicle A would have to wait for vehicle B if it were close enough.. If it isn't, then A can make the turn and be on their merry way...

I believe the question is posed that they are both at their respective stop signs. but A got to their's and stopped clearly first.

the question is:

would A have ROW due to being at the intersection first or would B have ROW due to the fact that A's intended action would cross B's path even though they stopped after A had already stopped.

and, as I stated before, and now that I have actually read and dissected the question feel even more strongly about, I believe the state is important. Unless I am mistaken, I have read both possibilities as the correct answer depending on the germane state.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    I believe the question is posed that they are both at their respective stop signs. but A got to their's and stopped clearly first.

the question is:

would A have ROW due to being at the intersection first or would B have ROW due to the fact that A's intended action would cross B's path even though they stopped after A had already stopped.

and, as I stated before, and now that I have actually read and dissected the question feel even more strongly about, I believe the state is important. Unless I am mistaken, I have read both possibilities as the correct answer depending on the germane state.
    You may have missed this part:
    Quote Quoting RulesOfTheRoad
    View Post
    An East-bound vehicle (Vehicle A) approaches a two-way stop with cross-traffic (North and Southbound) that does not have any stop signs.
    I do agree that a "STATE" is needed... That would simplify the answer.

no, I did not miss that. The no stop signs is regarding the cross traffic presented to each of them. Notice the N-S traffic does not have a stop sign, both A and B do.

with cross-traffic (North and Southbound) that does not have any stop signs.
    that is why there is even a question. If all directions had stop signs, first stop-first goes rules.

If nobody has stop signs, I don't think there would be question as everybody just crashed.

the only reasonable reading of the question has A and B faced with stop signs and the cross traffic without signage.

I mean, seriously, look at this:

An East-bound vehicle (Vehicle A) approaches a two-way stop with cross-traffic (North and Southbound) that does not have any stop signs.
    A approaches a 2 (read that: two, 2) way stop. cross traffic does not have a stop sign. That leaves A and B as the only other roads so since it is a 2 way stop, somebody else has a sign and that leaves B with a stop sign.

1. Sponsored Links