Default 2-Way Stop Right-Of-Way Law

I'm curious about the actual law in the following situation because I keeping hearing different answers from people.

An East-bound vehicle (Vehicle A) approaches a two-way stop with cross-traffic (North and Southbound) that does not have any stop signs. Vehicle A intends to turn left. Vehicle A waits for cross-traffic to clear so they can make their turn. If a second vehicle (Vehicle B) that is West-bound approaches the intersection well after Vehicle A and intends to go straight, which vehicle has the right-of-way once the cross-traffic is clear? Is it the vehicle who arrived first (Vehicle A) or the vehicle going straight (Vehicle B)?

Default Re: 2-Way Stop Right-Of-Way Law

where I come from the biggest vehicle has ROW so who had the biggest vehicle?

I didn't really get into your post because traffic laws vary by state and you didn't mention yours so, if there is a question that is state specific (which is likely), nobody can answer your question.
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

It depends on how far vehicle B is from the intersection and whether vehicle A can clear out of Vehicle B's way without interfering with its forward movement.

Vehicle A would have to wait for vehicle B if it were close enough.. If it isn't, then A can make the turn and be on their merry way...
    I am right 97% of the time... Who cares about the other 4%!

I believe the question is posed that they are both at their respective stop signs. but A got to their's and stopped clearly first.

the question is:

would A have ROW due to being at the intersection first or would B have ROW due to the fact that A's intended action would cross B's path even though they stopped after A had already stopped.

and, as I stated before, and now that I have actually read and dissected the question feel even more strongly about, I believe the state is important. Unless I am mistaken, I have read both possibilities as the correct answer depending on the germane state.
    I am not an attorney and any advice is not to be construed as legal advice. You might even want to ignore my advice. Actually, there are plenty of real attorneys that you might want to ignore as well.

Quote Quoting jk
    View Post
    I believe the question is posed that they are both at their respective stop signs. but A got to their's and stopped clearly first.

the question is:

would A have ROW due to being at the intersection first or would B have ROW due to the fact that A's intended action would cross B's path even though they stopped after A had already stopped.

and, as I stated before, and now that I have actually read and dissected the question feel even more strongly about, I believe the state is important. Unless I am mistaken, I have read both possibilities as the correct answer depending on the germane state.
    You may have missed this part:
    Quote Quoting RulesOfTheRoad
    View Post
    An East-bound vehicle (Vehicle A) approaches a two-way stop with cross-traffic (North and Southbound) that does not have any stop signs.
    I do agree that a "STATE" is needed... That would simplify the answer.
    I am right 97% of the time... Who cares about the other 4%!

no, I did not miss that. The no stop signs is regarding the cross traffic presented to each of them. Notice the N-S traffic does not have a stop sign, both A and B do.

with cross-traffic (North and Southbound) that does not have any stop signs.
    that is why there is even a question. If all directions had stop signs, first stop-first goes rules.

If nobody has stop signs, I don't think there would be question as everybody just crashed.

the only reasonable reading of the question has A and B faced with stop signs and the cross traffic without signage.

I mean, seriously, look at this:

An East-bound vehicle (Vehicle A) approaches a two-way stop with cross-traffic (North and Southbound) that does not have any stop signs.
    A approaches a 2 (read that: two, 2) way stop. cross traffic does not have a stop sign. That leaves A and B as the only other roads so since it is a 2 way stop, somebody else has a sign and that leaves B with a stop sign.

1. Sponsored Links