Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If Parental Rights Are Signed Away Can You Get Them Back

My question involves a child custody case from the State of:CA

I have a friend (really) who was going through a tough time in his life, owed a ton in child support and the mother convinced him to sign his rights away and she woudl remove the child support. Basically giving him the opprotunity to get his life together and she promised that when he got his life together she would allow him to see his daughter. It has been a few years, he has done just that, he is working, bought a house and has a great realtionship with his son who is 2 years younger (another mother). He has tired to reach out to the mother of his daughter to start a relationship and she will not allow it. Is there anything he can do to get his rights back?

Default Re: State of Ca- if Parental Rights Are Signed Away Can You Get Them Back

did the courts remove his parental rights or was this some agreement between the two parties only?

Default Re: State of Ca- if Parental Rights Are Signed Away Can You Get Them Back

Quote Quoting renee220
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of:CA

I have a friend (really) who was going through a tough time in his life, owed a ton in child support and the mother convinced him to sign his rights away and she woudl remove the child support. Basically giving him the opprotunity to get his life together and she promised that when he got his life together she would allow him to see his daughter. It has been a few years, he has done just that, he is working, bought a house and has a great realtionship with his son who is 2 years younger (another mother). He has tired to reach out to the mother of his daughter to start a relationship and she will not allow it. Is there anything he can do to get his rights back?

Were his rights terminated, or did he simply sign over full custody to Mom?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

His rights were terminated

BUT NOT BY the courts ...it was an agreement between the mother and him

Quote Quoting renee220
    View Post

if the courts were not involved, his rights were not terminated. He needs to go to court and file for a visitation schedule.

Im sorry for the confusion, the courts were involved, they were not the ones who initiated it....

Quote Quoting renee220
    View Post
    Im sorry for the confusion, the courts were involved, they were not the ones who initiated it....

Then he is no longer the parent of those children and has no rights to them at all.

But I'm not convinced his rights were terminated - was there a stepparent adoption?
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Im sorry for the confusion, the courts were involved, they were not the ones who initiated it...

yes, there is confusion since you said two different things polar opposite of each other.

Unless there was some fraudulent action that caused dad to accept the termination of his rights without arguing them, he no longer has a daughter.

simply based on how confused you sound, I would suggest dad take the court order and read it very thoroughly and if he does not understand exactly what it says, take it to an attorney that can explain it to him.

Thank you for your response! I dont know the whole story. I do know that he signed his parental rights away and it was agreed apon by both parents. NOW another question, does that mean the grandparents (father's parents) have no rights as well. I know they were able to get visatation but with his rights taken away im not sure if they still can.

y'all need to find out if the parental relationship was legally terminated or not. Until you are confident of the situation, nothing else really means anything.

but if the fathers rights are gone and there has been no relationship with the grandparents, they are not going to have any rights to visitation with the child.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast