Question Emancipation for College

My question involves emancipation laws for the State of: Idaho

I am 20 years old and therefore not a minor. However if you are under the age of 24 you are considered a dependent when applying for college financial aid. As a dependent both parent annual financial income is required. Unfortunately my dead beat father is refusing to release this information to me thereby rendering me ineligible for financial aid. I was told my option is to be emancipated so i can be considered independent on the FASFA or not receive financial aid at all. I need to go to college to further my education and better myself and i need financial aid to get there. My only concerns are that the emancipation process will be long and costly. I am short on both time and money so i need a fast and cheep approach. Is it possible for me to go through a timely and cost effective emancipation process since i am not a minor?

Default Re: Emancipation for College

You're already a grown adult, and thus not in need of emancipation. You're too old to file a petition for such.

The change in FAFSA rules was to benefit actual emancipated minors - those who petitioned around 16 or so and were granted emancipation.

Your father is under no obligation to release his personal financial information for your benefit. If you are unable to afford full time college without federal financial aid, consider working while you take a class or two, until you reach age 24, at which point you can apply for federal aid and possibly attend full time.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

I was told last night my 18 yrs old daughter wanted to be emancipated for the same college reasons - to receive more pell grant money. Her mother took me to court in September 2009 and I was ordered to pay 42% of her college costs.

However, my 18 yr old daughter is refusing to provide me with the college financial information needed and is requesting to be "emancipated". I take this to mean we would have to go back to court to have the Sept 2009 order rescinded so I am not responsible for her college costs. Is this correct?

I understand she is already 18 and an adult, so I don't know where her mother is getting the information she is feeding her about emancipation. It is my thought that her mother and I would have to mutually agree that I am no longer financially obligated to support my daughter or her college efforts.

I was told last night my 18 yrs old daughter wanted to be emancipated for the same college reasons - to receive more pell grant money.
    The same answer applies. She is already legally emancipated. The change in FAFSA requirements was made to benefit those who were legally emancipated through court action prior to reaching the age of majority.

I take this to mean we would have to go back to court to have the Sept 2009 order rescinded so I am not responsible for her college costs. Is this correct?
    She won't receive any more Pell grant money, regardless of whether you're footing part of the college bill.

Until she reaches the age of 24, FAFSA rules consider her a dependent, even if she has a full-time job, hasn't received a dime from you since acquiring a job, and has packed up and moved to her own house on Tuvalu. This applies whether you are actually helping her pay for college or not.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links