Default Probation Fees, What if You Can't Pay Them

Wisconsin

I run on a very tight budget. I cannot afford much more for myself until tax time every year. This life kind of sucks, but its all I got. I recently got put on probation and they feel that I need to pay a total of $60 a visit for probation fees. I cannot afford to pay $60 a visit. I can afford something around $20. Am I going to be in violation of my probation if I cannot afford to pay my probation fees in full each visit? I think that is very unlawful for an agency to do that. I thought probation was supposed to be a better alternative to Jail.

Default Re: Probation Fees, What if You Can't Pay Them

Am I going to be in violation of my probation if I cannot afford to pay my probation fees in full each visit?
    Yes.

You'd do well to speak with your PO about possibly getting the fees reduced until such time that you can pay the correct amount.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

between here and there, but you can't here from there

As stated, you will violate by not paying. The probation company is in business for profit {fines} and are not going to let it slide. But, you could try to talk to them about reduction of fees or even offest of balance.

If you can pay $20 for each visit, that leaves a balance of $40. Multiply that by number of months on probation and that would be like a ballon note; small money today, but prepared for big money tomorrow. Maybe this is an option with the condition that you are on probation until the balance, and accumulated balance is paid in full. It also serves as an incentive to clear up the bucks quickly.

What you do not tell is how long you are on probation for, amount of fine and how frequent the visits. Its important as it gives us more options to explore with your PO

Another thing, the state will not dischage you from probation until your fines are paid in full.

I am on probation for a duration of 18 months. There are no fines associated with this. It was for a Misd. Battery charge. I was sentenced to the 18 months, and an anger management class. I also have to do 60 hours of community service to get the battery charge expunged. There is no way I can afford $60 a month PLUS $30 a week for those stupid anger management classes. That class isn't going to work if the expense part is just pissing me off.

1. Sponsored Links