Default When Can an Adoption Be Overturned

I went to jail for an old charge and no one would bail me out for 2weeks. I offered to sign adoption papers to family that had my child if they would bail me out. At that time I felt it would be best for my child, but now I can't sleep at night. I am past my court date and will not serve any more time in jail if I stay clean and go to my probation officer. I went to jail 3-4 months ago and the adoption went through 2 months ago. If money wasn't a problem, is there anything I can do to get my child back? Does anyone have the correct legal answer?

Default Re: Can Adoption Be Overturned

Quote Quoting greenerme
    View Post
    I went to jail for an old charge and no one would bail me out for 2weeks. I offered to sign adoption papers to family that had my child if they would bail me out. At that time I felt it would be best for my child, but now I can't sleep at night. I am past my court date and will not serve any more time in jail if I stay clean and go to my probation officer. I went to jail 3-4 months ago and the adoption went through 2 months ago. If money wasn't a problem, is there anything I can do to get my child back? Does anyone have the correct legal answer?

Please tell us your state.
    An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise - Victor Hugo

Do not microwave grapes

Mississippi

Additional Info: The judge has already signed the adoption papers and my child's name has been changed to theirs. It was finalized on the same day they went to court.

Quote Quoting tcc
    View Post
    Mississippi

Additional Info: The judge has already signed the adoption papers and my child's name has been changed to theirs. It was finalized on the same day they went to court.
    I'm sorry - you are no longer the child's parent. You can't overturn the adoption at this point.

And who are you really in this? two different screen-names? What?

Do not microwave grapes

Mississippi

So, are you saying a judge wouldn't overturn the adoption in any circumstance? Do I have ANY chance???

Quote Quoting greenerme
    View Post
    Mississippi

So, are you saying a judge wouldn't overturn the adoption in any circumstance? Do I have ANY chance???
    Assuming the adoption was done legally....unless you can prove fraud, duress, or undue influence shown by clear and convincing evidence AND revoking the consent would be in the best interest of the child, you will not be able to overturn the adoption.

Out of interest, where is the other parent?

(Yes, it might make a difference)

Do not microwave grapes

The other parent is the bother and sister-in-law to who has the child. He is still for the adoption and says he will testify on their behalf. He says it is in the best interest of the child. We do not get along though and they are family.
    Is them bailing me out and me signing the papers fraud, duress, or undue influence?
    (and What might make a difference?)

Quote Quoting greenerme
    View Post
    The other parent is the bother and sister-in-law to who has the child. He is still for the adoption and says he will testify on their behalf. He says it is in the best interest of the child. We do not get along though and they are family.
    Is them bailing me out and me signing the papers fraud, duress, or undue influence?
    (and What might make a difference?)
    OK hang on.

WHO is Mom here?

WHO is Dad?

Do not microwave grapes

I'm not surprised you're confused. In the threads posted under this person's other handle she's the person who was seeking adoption. Last year the big deal was that grandma was taking her to court to undo the adoption. Now she's the child's biological mother.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    I'm not surprised you're confused. In the threads posted under this person's other handle she's the person who was seeking adoption. Last year the big deal was that grandma was taking her to court to undo the adoption. Now she's the child's biological mother.

Phew. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Wasn't one of the screen-names also the Aunt who wanted custody of someone's child?

Do not microwave grapes

1. Sponsored Links