Default Are These Good Reasons to Be Emancipated

I'm from Ontario and I'm 16 years old. Over the course of 6 years my mother has become more controlling and abusive of me by the day. I have been held captive in my house for 3 weeks now, she refuses to let me out of the house, even to go to the library for school. She is also very verbally abusive, frequently reminding me that my dad could die any day (She's using the things I care about most to make me listen to her and "behave") and refuses to let me have friends because she always seems to find something she doesn't like. I've slowly become a hermit through my high school life and practically live in my room now just so that I can get away. My father tries to be calm about it, but even he is losing his mind over this. I respect my family, I don't swear in my house, and I have been an honours student for all of high school so far and am continuing. A member of my family has agreed that they would let me live there until I could manage myself better, I already have a part time job with a decent amount of money saved, and a guidance councellor at my school who listened to some of my worst problems brought it up as a suggestion and thinks it would be safer, knowing her violent temper. Other members of my family say that I am a good kid and don't deserve to be treated this way, and I agree. Are these reasons enough to get me emancipated if I have witnesses?

Default Re: Are These Good Reasons to Be Emancipated

This is primarily a US site and I don't believe anyone is familiar with emancipation laws in Canada.

In the US you would have to prove to the satisfaction of the judge that you were capable of self-support without any assistance from others before he would even let you state your reasons.

Well like I mentioned I have a family member that would gladly provide shelter for me until I am 18 then I can go to colledge/uni and get a dorm there or an apartment. Plus right now I have a part time job i just want to know if my reasons are good enough because I'm not sure if they will take this as seriously as it really is even though I have witnesses...
    Even if I mentioned my grades are slipping away because of the stress I've been under. I've already had enough anxiety attacks so I'm not quite sure if that would be physical abuse seeing as my well being is in danger...

If a family member is supporting you, that is NOT emancipation, regardless of how good your reasons are.

What should I do then? Just find a way to make them my legal guardian or something? Because I would be supporting myself I would just live there.

You really need to be talking to a Canadian site or attorney about this. I have no clue what Canadian laws allow for.

Okay well thanks for your help anyway. I think I will ask my guidance councellor a little more about it since my family never thought I would need a lawyer and the one they have is a moron...

1. Sponsored Links