Default Grandparent Rights for Grandchildren in Foster Care

My question involves grandparents rights in the State of Nevada:

I am a grandparent living in Illinois. I have 2 grandchildren in Nevada that were placed in foster care in August by Child Protective Services due to false allegations against the father made by the Mom. Mom has now changed her story and dropped the TPO, this is the second time she has done this. I have talked with the CPS caseworker and let her know that I would like to have my grandchildren instead of having them in foster care. I have the couples older child, whom I adopted when he was an infant because of the parents being irresponsible like they are now. Is it possible for me to get my grandchildren instead of having them in foster care? Mom has been kicked out of a shelter and has no place to go, Dad is a heavy drinker and they are not ready to take care of their children. What are my rights?

Default Re: Grandparent Rights for Grandchildren in Foster Care

You can ask to be considered for an in-family foster placement. Have you received feedback that suggests you're not being considered?

The foster placement can't be based entirely on "false allegations" if in fact dad isn't capable of properly caring for the children.

i was a child who grew up in and out of my home....everytime my sister and i were taken away we always stayed with grandparents...I don't see any reason why they would not want the children to be with family instead of strangers...especially if you have adopted their older sibling....GOOD LUCK

I am not in Nevada, but I am a foster parent. Here if there is a family member that can pass a homestudy, the child goes there. Family is always preferred to a foster family. Call the caseworker and let them know you want your grandkids as soon as possible and DONT take no for an answer. Good Luck!!

Quote Quoting mom2all4
    View Post
    I am not in Nevada, but I am a foster parent. Here if there is a family member that can pass a homestudy, the child goes there. Family is always preferred to a foster family. Call the caseworker and let them know you want your grandkids as soon as possible and DONT take no for an answer. Good Luck!!
    You are correct if the family live in NV.

The OP is in IL and the chances of CPS of allowing the child/ren to leave the state is very low.

OP, You will need to go to NV, hire an attorney and petition for guardianship.

1. Sponsored Links