Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default After SDI, I Was Denied UI Benefits Because "I Quit Without Medical Advice"

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: California.
    I will attempt make this as short as possible:

A. I resigned from my employer due to illness (medical condition)

B. I immediately applied and was approved for SDI benefits (California State Disability).
    1. SDI is handled through EDD. However, it is a different and separate department that supposedly doesn't share information. The next day after my resignation, My doctor filled out several EDD documents supporting the fact that I was 100% disabled. Everything went smoothly while I collected SDI benefits.

C. My condition improved (alleviated) and I was diagnosed healthy and "able to work". I applied for Unemployment benefits approximately a week after the medical diagnosis stating that I was able to work, and a week after stopping SDI benefits.

D I received a Notice of Determination stating that I was denied UI benefits because "I quit my last job on my own, without medical advice to quit". I am, of course, appealing this decidion. In my appeal, I included copies of the EDD Doctor's certificate, which my doctor had been required to fill out during the application process for SDI benefits. These documents were filled out by my doctor during the period I resigned. They state that I was diagnosed 100% disabled. This document was filled out and dated the day after my resignation.
    The basis of my appeal is that I had no choice but to resign. I lost my job through no fault of my own, I could not perform my job duties due to the effects of fully diagnosed and documented medical condition.

I feel that it SHOULD be an easy win, but, of course, I don't want to count my chickens before they are hatched. Any one with a similar experience? Or is there something I might have overlooked that can deny me benefits?

Default Re: After Sdi, I Was Denied UI Benefits Because "I Quit Without Medical Advice"

How long were you collecting SDI?

Default Re: After Sdi, I Was Denied UI Benefits Because "I Quit Without Medical Advice"

I collected SDI for 12 months

You may not meet the financial eligibility requirements. See pages 3-4 of the Employee Handbook here. SDI payments are not wages for purposes of UI base period earnings.
    http://www.edd.cahwnet.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de1275a.pdf

I should have met the financial eligibility requirements. They had sent me a letter with my eligible benefit when I applied. It is my understanding that they always look at the last 12 months ending the last quarter (not the quarter in which you applied). They use the highest earned quarter (which would be the 1st quarter, when I was working)

Default Re: After SDI, I Was Denied UI Benefits Because "I Quit Without Medical Advice"

I will grant that I am not in your state, but in most states with which I am familiar, you have to have x number of weeks of earnings. A single quarter of earnings is not sufficient.

Default Re: After SDI, I Was Denied UI Benefits Because "I Quit Without Medical Advice"

Read this information on the EDD website. It might be helpful.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/UIBDG/Voluntar...Q_235.htm#Quit Not on Advice of Physician

Quote Quoting cbg
    View Post
    I will grant that I am not in your state, but in most states with which I am familiar, you have to have x number of weeks of earnings. A single quarter of earnings is not sufficient.
    that was my understanding as well but...

http://www.edd.cahwnet.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de1275a.pdf

To establish a valid claim, you must have earned at least (1) $1300
    in one quarter of your base period, or (2) at least $900 in your
    highest quarter and total base period earnings of 1.25 times your
    high quarter earnings.

well, based on that, I believe you can qualify for UI if you had earned at least $1300 in that one quarter.

Works for me.

Thank you all for your help. I hope you had a wonderful New Year. After reading the links you have provided (especially the one regarding the "no doctor's advice) I am fully confident that I will win my appeal. I cannot believe that I was denied in the first place.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast