Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Immigration and Customs

My question involves an arrest warrant from the State of: all.

I am considering starting a business that allows the airlines to conduct background checks on its passengers before a ticket is issued to assess threat levels and warrant checks on individual flyers before they fly so that law enforcement can be waiting at either the departure or arrival terminals.

Before I risk a signifigant amount of capital into such a system, I was curious to know do you think that a system as such which would tap into the NCIC database for cross references would be handy and if the airlines/airports would be willing to subscribe to such a service.

Do you think such a system which does the job that airport security misses would be handy and viable?

Specifically, I am asking this question because I notice a lot of people on here flying with warrants and not serving their time, this is wrong.

Your comments are appreciated.

Default Re: Immigration and Customs

I doubt that airlines will have much interest in contracting with you to perform such services, as TSA already screens everybody who goes through security, erring on the side of overinclusion.

Well TSA does the physical screening but they do not do a full background check. My system would allow for a full query on background check including credit risk, arrests, and warrants.

What do the senior members on here think about this sort of system? Perhaps it could be an adjunct to the TSA no fly list?

If you don't even know what TSA does, why do you think you have the necessary background to perform this type of service?

I do know what TSA does after working for them for 2 years, but this is what my major is in. Administration of Justice with an emphasis in Computer Science.

I am trying to make flying safer, as a passenger, wouldnt you like to know if the person next to you is a sex offender, or what their arrest record is? It would make you think twice about leaving your important belongings on the seat when you went to the restroom wouldnt it?

You think that airlines are going to pay for full criminal background checks on every passenger, then communicate the information they obtain to other passengers?

Write up proposals, submit them to the airlines, and see if any bite.

Default Background Checks, Airports, and Flying Safer

Cross Posting this to another forum since I didnt get any help or a good response in the warrants forum.

I am considering starting a business that allows the airlines to conduct background checks on its passengers before a ticket is issued to assess threat levels and warrant checks on individual flyers before they fly so that law enforcement can be waiting at either the departure or arrival terminals.

Before I risk a signifigant amount of capital into such a system, I was curious to know do you think that a system as such which would tap into the NCIC database for cross references would be handy and if the airlines/airports would be willing to subscribe to such a service.

Do you think such a system which does the job that airport security misses would be handy and viable?

Personally I would like to know if the person I am sitting next to has for example a criminal record for theft, I would be less inclined to leave my valuables on my seat when I hit the john or if the guy sitting next to me is a sex offender, then I absolutely would not let my child or my wife site next to them.

Do you think a system like this would be viable?

My major is in adjus/comp sci, and I did work for TSA for a few years but I felt my brain power was wasted doing the menial liquids, gels, or aerosol, or the pat downs.

Your comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

Jimbo

Default Re: Background Checks, Airports, and Flying Safer

A business model under which airlines spend money to increase their potential legal liability and, at best, create chaos on the plane when nobody wants to sit next to certain passengers? I remain skeptical.

Airlines have been working closely with the government on security for many years now. It does not help their industry for security breaches to occur. They employ many security experts whose job it is to close security loopholes while maintaining a balance between tight security and so much security that they destroy their own industry.

Why do you believe you have something to offer that they have not already considered?

Actually, you would not be allowed to conduct a business such as this one. It would be a violation of 4th Amendment rights. At least that's what TSA's belief is. No airline would sign up to violate people's rights. It is not the airlines duty to serve warrants or check who has them. You may want to know who is in the seat next to you, but it's not the airlines' responsibility to check on that outside of national security issues. I really don't think the guy/gal with a warrant out of their arrest for a minor crime is a threat to national security. I'm sorry to say, but your business is not feasible, nor would it even make it off the ground since there are legal blockades to such a thing. Besides, your model would be open to too many security risks. Would you expect the government to share the no-fly lists and sensitive terrorist information with you? How can the government ensure that you're not going to take a bribe and clear someone who shouldn't be? Obviously with all the work you'd have, you'd have to have employees. What about them? I'm sorry to be harsh, but you came on here asking for advice, and I'd hate to see you waste any money on this.

By the way, here's some info. to back up what I've stated. This is from a news article regarding the 4th Amendment right issues as well as why this biz would never fly:

In early October the TSA issued new rules stating that screening may not be conducted to detect evidence of crimes unrelated to transportation security and that carrying large amounts of cash doesn't qualify as suspicious for purposes of safety."

This was in response to a aide for Ron Paul, who was carrying a large sum of money in a lock box on a plane with him as part of his job duties. It was also in response to many people having their prescription pill bottles opened and searched during security checks.

This was a quote taken from the ACLU's website about this issue:

"We had been hearing of so many reports of TSA screeners engaging in wide-ranging fishing expeditions for illegal activities," said Ben Wizner, a staff lawyer for the ACLU, pointing to reports of officers scanning pill-bottle labels to see whether the passenger was the person who obtained the prescription as one example.

He said screeners get a narrow exception to the Fourth Amendment, which prohibits unreasonable searches, strictly to keep weapons and explosives off planes, not to help police enforce other laws.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast