Default Can a probation officer show up at your house unannounced?

My friend has been on probation for 2 years. His first PO, who was cool was transfered, and the new PO is a complete hardass. Can his probation officer show up at his house at anytime unannounced? And does he need to ask permission to stay overnight at his girlfriends house if it's in the same city? Where do his privacy rights start?
    thanks

Default Re: can po show up at your house anytime unannounced?

Quote Quoting charlie01
    Can his probation officer show up at his house at anytime unannounced?
    Yes. (Which is not necessarily the same as having a right to enter.)

Quote Quoting charlie01
    And does he need to ask permission to stay overnight at his girlfriends house if it's in the same city?
    It sounds like his probation restricts where he stays, and if so he presumably needs permission to spend overnights elsewhere.

Quote Quoting charlie01
    Where do his privacy rights start?
    While he is on probation, he must live under the terms of his probation. After he is discharged, those restrictions will no longer apply.

Thank you for your reply. He lives in fort lauderdale. He also has an sis. If I can ask you another Question. With an sis can the po contact his employer, and tell the employer he is on probation? Thank you in advance.

Probation officers do not normally do anything which may cause a person on probation to lose his or her job. They want the person on probation to remain employed.

Yes a probabtion officer can show up at anytime, Mine does, She came to my house at 6am to give me a drug test! Shes showed up at 3 am once to just to make sure that i was home!

Oh my gosh. I can not imagine that. I would not answer the door. That is beyond the call of duty. If they have nothing to do at 3 a.m. they need to get a life. Wish you well, and thanks for the reply.

Thank you Mr. Knowitall. This guy insists on contacting his employer even though he has the sis. They specifically stated they did not want to damage his chance at getting a job, when he went to court. The po. is a former marine, and I think he wants to do everything by the book. I'm just not sure what book he is reading since he has already told our friend. "I did'nt know you had an SIS" I say well do your job, and read the transcript. I'm sure these people are overwhelmed. I also think why bug someone who is a nonviolent person. Which means a felony drug charge in a county where 2 seeds is a felony.

Geez,Heres the law. And heres what usualy happens.
    A probation officer may show up at your home any time any day. They usualy tell you when they will be showung up cause they are busy. They usualy ask if your employer knows if you are on probation. They dont want you to lose youre job.If you read your condition of community supervission it will tell you that you are expected to be at your address at night. If its a fellony and non adjudicated you have no rights as far as the po is conscerned.

1. Sponsored Links