Default Careless Driving New Jersey

My question involves a careless driving ticket from the State of: new jersey. While exiting a driveway, driving a dump truck, there were cars parked on both sides of the road, and I attempted to exit to the left, and while creeping out doing less than five miles an hour it appeared that I had enough room, but, unfortunately my left side bumper struct the car on the left hand side. I immediately pulled over and called the local police and waited for them to arrive. When the officer arrived I explained what happened, freely admitting that I struck the parked car. The officer made the report and when he was finished gave me a summons for careless driving, informing me that it was a points violation. I called the local municipal court, and was informed that if I pleaded guilty there would be an $85.00 fine, plus points, and at that time, I entered a plea of Not Guilty. On the appointed court date, as we were herded into a court room like cattle, we were informed that we would have to speak to the prosecuting attorney before we could talk to the judge. When my turn with the prosecutor arrived, I tried to explain what happened to him, but he paid very little attention, and then stated that if I didn't want my insurance to up due to the points he advised that I could pay a ridiculousy high fine of $440.00 plus costs, instead of the preiously stated $85.00 ! At that point I insisted on my Not Guilty plea, rather than submit to this legal extortion-- pay the municipality or pay the higher insurance! As an aside, we were sitting in groups of 4 in the court, and, in my row, 3 of the 4 were there for careless driving, and I heard the prosecutor give the other two the same pitch. When my turn before the judge finally arrived, even though I had notified the court well in advance of my guilty plea I was told that I could not be heard that night, but would have to return at a later date! My next date in this kangaroo court will be someime in April of 2010! Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! I am 59 years old, with an exemplary driving record of no tickets or accidents and would like to keep it the same.

Default Re: Careless Driving New Jersey

What is your question?

You were driving carelessly or you would not have hit a stationary object.
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

1. Sponsored Links