Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I Stole from Target and I Need to Know What Will Happen to Me

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Michigan

Well to start I'm 17 years old. I stole a total of 4 items, 3 of which were earbuds, and a game all of which was $100.00 worth in stolen goods. I was later caught by the police and arrested and the goods were still in the original packaging and returned back to Target I was taken to the local police station and further searched and put in a holding cell until my bond was paid for. I was taken out of the cell and later given a slip of paper I have to see the judge within the next 10 days. I honestly don't know what to expect, I've never been in more serious trouble then today. I would really appreciate it if any of you professional moderators will tell me. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: I Stole from Target and I Need to Know What Will Happen to Me

Can someone please tell me before I lose my mind?

First of all, I can't believe your local Target keeps video games out in the open. Normally, video games, laptops, video game systems, and other expensive electronics are locked behind a glass case. A serious buyer will be required to ask an employee for assistance and purchase the item right away.

You could get a civil demand letter from Target and you need to pay that as soon as possible.

Don't ignore the letter, don't throw away the letter, and don't even think about not paying the amount that's requested in the letter. If you do any of the do nots that I mentioned just now, the store will sue you and you will have to pay more money out of your pocket.

Target has a year to file criminal charges.

Since you're still a minor, you need to tell what happened to your parents. I know it is tough and scary, but they will find out what you have done one day.

Thanks for responding. What if I can't pay for the civil demand? I returned the stolen goods back to Target nothing was tampered with. I'm in a real crisis at the moment I don't have a job, how can I possibly pay for the civil demand, are there any alternate ways of handling this? I already know someone is going to say go tell your parents I honestly would but they are not living with me my grandparents are my legal guardians, and they honestly don't have much money.

EDIT: Most people jump the gun here and think I'm a bad person this is my first offense. You may be wondering to yourself, this person lives with his grandparents he must get into a lot of trouble, reason being is because my mother is in the war of Iraq so legal guardian papers had to be signed for the time being. So please don't jump the gun and assume I'm a horrible person it's honestly killing me inside with all this guilt, I just want to get this over with.

First of all, settle down. Those of us here are volunteers and not online 24/7.

See the sticky's at the top? Read them.

Civil Demand: Pay it, or your guardians can be sued, and the amount will atleast triple once Target adds the legal fees associated with the lawsuit to your tab.

Well some help you are basically told me what the other person said to me maybe you should read over what I said. Let me tell something also don't tell me to calm down I've read the stickies and quite frankly everyone has their own specific dilema, I'm not trying to be a dick okay? Sorry if I did but you aren't really helping.

Hey kid, I am not a lawyer, just a social worker. But I kid I worked with stole some CD's from Target. Th CD's never made it past the front doors. The kid was a ward of the state when this had happened, so I asked our local prosecutor what to do about the civil demand letter. He said that Target couldn't enforce it. Now I caution you because since this kid was a ward of the state, some enforcement laws are different. I suggest you google your local juvenile probation department or public defenders office and ask some questions. Laws very state to state. Oh and if you do go to court, don't go off on the judge like you did with the lawyers here...you won't get any leniency if you show an attitude. You are also likely banned from that Target store, you'll have to shop somewhere else now...which is another reason your grandparents need to know.

I am not a lawyer. I am a volunteer. I don't like replying to people with attitudes, nor do I have to.

As I mentioned - there are three threads stickied. READ THEM. They are full of information.

There are some questions we cannot answer, as we are not psychic, everyone had a different judge, prosecutor, etc.

First: get a consultation with a criminal defense attorney.

If you can't afford one: When you go into court, plead "I stand Mute". You will be given the chance to see if you qualify for a public defender (and not all are free). Follow this persons guidelines and rules.

Again - pay the civil demand.

If that is still not helpful....go ask your guardians to get you a lawyer.

Quote Quoting JohnB1120
    View Post
    Well some help you are basically told me what the other person said to me maybe you should read over what I said. Let me tell something also don't tell me to calm down I've read the stickies and quite frankly everyone has their own specific dilema, I'm not trying to be a dick okay? Sorry if I did but you aren't really helping.
    Actually, you received the correct legal answer.

If you go to court, the first question asked will be, "where are your parents and/or guardians."

Then you will be instructed to go get them.
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Quoting JohnB1120
    View Post
    Thanks for responding. What if I can't pay for the civil demand? I returned the stolen goods back to Target nothing was tampered with. I'm in a real crisis at the moment I don't have a job, how can I possibly pay for the civil demand, are there any alternate ways of handling this? I already know someone is going to say go tell your parents I honestly would but they are not living with me my grandparents are my legal guardians, and they honestly don't have much money.

EDIT: Most people jump the gun here and think I'm a bad person this is my first offense. You may be wondering to yourself, this person lives with his grandparents he must get into a lot of trouble, reason being is because my mother is in the war of Iraq so legal guardian papers had to be signed for the time being. So please don't jump the gun and assume I'm a horrible person it's honestly killing me inside with all this guilt, I just want to get this over with.
    Then you need to tell your legal guardian about this situation. I didn't know your mom is in war because you didn't mention that in your first post. I'm not sure if there are any alternatives. In the United States, stores are allowed to issue a civil demand letter when someone is caught shoplifting. At least your returned the merchandise, but that doesn't erase the fact that you have to pay the amount stated in your civil demand letter.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast