Default How Do I Know if There is a Warrant for My Arrest

My question involves criminal records for the state of: IL
    I was involved in a bit of road rage. I know it was stupid, and am wondering about the ramifications. I was cut off and ran partially off the road by somebody who either was not paying attention or who didn't care. I cut off the other driver a while later down the road. He began to follow me and said he had filmed me with his camera as I cut him off. I did not have the opportunity to film him, so there's no evidence of his wrongdoing. How can I find out if he truly filed a police report and if there is a warrant for my arrest? Also this driver threatened to punch me in the face, twice. I am a middle aged woman and he was a rather large man. I did call the police after he threatened me and provided his plate number as I wasn't sure if he was going to continue to follow me. They told me I could come down and file a complaint if I wanted to. I have not filed a complaint yet, and probably won't unless the other driver does as it's not worth missing a day of work to appear in court since I will probably never see this person again.

Default Re: How Do I Know if There is a Warrant for My Arrest

I am a middle aged woman and he was a rather large man.
    first, especially in todays world, let me say: your actions were beyond stupid. Not only did you commit a crime, you ran a bigger male off the road. Not a real brilliant action.

so, anyway; regardless of what he did, you had no right to chase after him and cut him off. Especially since you are not aware of the reason he did what he did, your reaction was foolish. You broke the law. He might have.

so, although he threatened you and ran you off the road, you feel the only reason you would file a complaint is as a defense to his filing a complaint. That usually makes it look like what he did was not bad enough to file a complaint but heck, if he is going to file, so am I.

To find out if there is a warrant: walk into the police department and ask. As to him filing a complaint? More difficult but if he did and the DA believes there is any value to his complaint, I am sure the police will be paying you a visit.

what you should have done is:

after he ran you off the road; call the police

after you ran him off the road and he started following you; drive to the police station or call the police

yes, as I said in my post, my actions were stupid, can you please not beat me over the head with it anymore?
    I don't really wish to press charges, as I'm afraid he will be given my personal information (name, address, etc), and to be honest I think we both acted in an immature manner, and would like to let it go. However, I was thinking of pressing charges if he did in the hopes that he would realize that he would be facing charges also if he went ahead with his complaint. Not sure what type of charge I would be facing, but I would think that threatening another person with battery would be pretty serious. I would agree to drop mine if he dropped his. I did call the police so there should be a record of my call indicating I was threatened.
    Finally, if I do walk into a police station and ask and there is a warrant, will I be arrested on the spot? How long will they be able to hold me? Would I just be able to call the State Police?

=driver12;376565]
    Finally, if I do walk into a police station and ask and there is a warrant, will I be arrested on the spot?
    probably

How long will they be able to hold me?
    until bail is set and posted which might be not until you are arraigned. In other words; longer than you want to set in jail.

Would I just be able to call the State Police?
    that kind of lets the bad guys they want to catch a bit of a head start of leaving the area.

Not inferring you are the worst person in the world but generally, they do not tell people over the phone there is a warrant for their arrest because they can use that lack of info to their advantage when they are trying to catch somebody.

I doubt there would be a warrant. This type of situation generally is not something that they simply seek an arrest warrant for. They (the police) generally go out and investigate, turn the info over to the DA and then let the DA make the determination about prosecution.

You can hire an attorney to attempt to find out. They often have the means to find out.

Some states have computerized warrants systems. Like Fla. You can even go to their FDLE state level web site and get some of that info.

Myabe this will work for you in IL. I haven't checked it myself but it may answer the question:

http://publicrecords.onlinesearches....s-Warrants.htm

Thank you for the advice. I'm afraid that if the police try to come out they won't be able to get a hold of me as I'm almost never home. I'm considering going down to the state police department in the jurisdiction where I called in. I'm thinking that if I went there on a weekend and there was indeed a warrant I might have to wait for arraignment until a weekday. Is this probably correct? Are there certain days when arraignments are done? I'm not familiar with the legal system and if I were to spend a significant amount of time at the station I would need to make arrangements for someone to care for my pets. If there is a warrant I'd like to just take care of everything and not hide. If I hire an attorney I'll just wind up having to go down in person myself, correct? This isn't something an attorney can handle without my having to appear in person is it?

Why would you think there is a warrant? How do you know he has video?
    Even IF he has video there is NO WAY anyone could read your license plate or identify you from what is likely a cell phone camera video.

What happened would be a traffic violation. No police department is going to issue a ticket much less an arrest warrant for something no officer witnessed.

The other party would have to go to the DA or State Attorney and ask for a warrant to be issued. If he went to the police they will take a report but nothing will come of it. (And for WHAT crime exactly?) A warrant can't happen without an actual criminal case and your identity being known. In addition, if your identity was known, the police or DA/SA's office would contact you and ask you to come in for an interview.

The DA/SA would have to determine from an investigation that there was probable cause for an arrest: I.E. that a criminal offense had been committed.

Now, if you have emptied your .38 into his car, there would be a crime!

If you are really worried, go ask if there is a warrant. They won't tell you until they arrest you. Do NOT go on a Thur. or Friday. You might have to sit in a holding pen all weekend.

NO, SERIOUSLY. There is no warrant, that is a legal impossibility. I am surprised all the legal eagles here failed to realize how this all works and only concerned themselves with the question of finding out if there is a warrant.

Quote Quoting driver12
    View Post
    Thank you for the advice. I'm afraid that if the police try to come out they won't be able to get a hold of me as I'm almost never home. I'm considering going down to the state police department in the jurisdiction where I called in. I'm thinking that if I went there on a weekend and there was indeed a warrant I might have to wait for arraignment until a weekday. Is this probably correct? Are there certain days when arraignments are done? I'm not familiar with the legal system and if I were to spend a significant amount of time at the station I would need to make arrangements for someone to care for my pets. If there is a warrant I'd like to just take care of everything and not hide. If I hire an attorney I'll just wind up having to go down in person myself, correct? This isn't something an attorney can handle without my having to appear in person is it?
    when a court arraigns is very specific to that court. Some large cities actually have night and weekend court. A lot of courts only do business during typical business hours.

An attorney might be able to arrange a walk through arraignment where you would surrender, be booked, and already have bail arranged. That is something you would need to speak with an attorney about to see if it is possible in your area.

Thank you again for all your help. I did speak with the State Police and they said if the other driver had pressed charges, I would receive a letter. They also said that if I wished to press charges, the other party would be given my name, but not address, but given the things available on the internet these days, the other party would be able to find my address fairly easily. So at this point I don't think I'll press charges unless the other party does, as I'd prefer that this person not have my address. I wanted to note this also so that others who are considering pressing charges against another person for some reason will know what info will be available to the other party. Thank you again for all your help.

1. Sponsored Links