Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can a Previous Employer Contact Your Current Employer

My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Work in California previous job was in New Jersey,

I took some "liberties" with my job title at my previous job and now (after a year) my previous employer is sending me emails confronting me about it. My question is can he contact my current employer and tell them?

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Can a Previous Employer Contact Your Current Employer

There is no law that says he cannot.

Never, never lie on a resume or job application. If your boss does find out, you can be fired for that misrepresentation.

Seems had to believe that in a world where companies are so scared of a lawsuit that they often instruct their HR only to give out "Name, Rank and Serial number info" to prospective employers that a previous employer can contact the future employer- after the fact- and give unsolicited info with no consequences....Anyone else??

-sorry for not mentioning this on my original post, I am fully aware that I should not lie on a resume.

Thanks Again

Many employers give out more than "name, rank & serial #" & it's not illegal as long as the info is true, believed to be true or is their honest & supportable opinion of what is true.

I agree with other responders - no law against your former employer doing this.
    Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.

Quote Quoting Haywood
    View Post
    Seems had to believe that in a world where companies are so scared of a lawsuit that they often instruct their HR only to give out "Name, Rank and Serial number info" to prospective employers that a previous employer can contact the future employer- after the fact- and give unsolicited info with no consequences....Anyone else??
    n
    This practice is due to an abundance of caution that I have always felt unnecessary. It would be very difficult for any former employee to prevail against the company for a manager stating the truth about a former employee, however negative it may be.

Relative to the "liberties" that you took with your job title, your former employer may well be concerned about the reputation of his company if you claim you held a responsible position that others could easily see were beyond your capabilities. For example, if you held a technical position in quality assurance and listed your position as Vice President of Quality Assurance, others on meeting you could well be concerned about the level of quality assurance performed by that company, upon observing that you do not have the level of understanding that a vice president should have.

Or, your former employer may simply be angry that you made the false claim. There is no legal problem with him contacting anyone he wishes to set the record straight on what your actual title was.

This reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon.

The evil HR cat is called about an employee reference.

He says,"We do not give out personal references. However, I do think I would like to talk about the weather. We had a cloud here once. He was dreary and lazy and all the other clouds thought he was stupid."

Anything that is the truth, opinion or a statement THOUGHT to be true may be said without fear of suit.

Why would you believe that your right to lie on your resume would trump your former employer's right to free speech?
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Quoting Haywood
    View Post
    My question involves labor and employment law for the state of: Work in California previous job was in New Jersey,

I took some "liberties" with my job title at my previous job and now (after a year) my previous employer is sending me emails confronting me about it. My question is can he contact my current employer and tell them?

Thanks for your help!
    How did your previous employer find out about your job title? Did your current employer call them?

Quote Quoting jarno
    View Post
    How did your previous employer find out about your job title? Did your current employer call them?
    I am guessing it was listed on the resume.
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Quoting cyjeff
    View Post
    I am guessing it was listed on the resume.
    and the resume was found online? still wouldnt they want to do a reference check before hiring.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast