Default Open Container Citation in NYC

I was in New York City on October 16 with two of my friends (ages 18, 18, and 20) on the way to a Yankees game and we had open beer bottles on the train. A police officer issued us pink citations for open container (10-125b). In order to avoid having to go to court, I opted to plea guilty by mail which is only available to people who get an open container summons. I mailed in a plea form I printed off the NYC Criminal Court website, my summons, and a $25 check. As of this date, my check still has not been cashed. I followed all the instructions and mailed everything in within 10 days of the summons being issued. Help!!

Default Re: Open Container Citation in NYC

Contact the court and ask if they received your payment.

Thanks. I tried to call a while ago but I kept getting an answering machine. I'll try again. Should I just show up at court if I don't get in touch with them? What happens if I go without my summons?

If you can't get through by phone, you do have the option of going in person.

If you've lost everything with your case number on it, they should be able to look you up by name.

Thank you very much for your help! Everyone keeps telling me that it's probably going to get dismissed when I go to court. Any idea what the fine would be if it doesn't? And is there any possibility the judge can penalize me for underage drinking even though the only summons I have is open container?

Similiar situation. Ticketed Sept 7, paid via mail and heard nothing until this week. Ticket dismissed, uncashed check returned to me. I guess it takes NYC courts that long to process.

thank you very much for your help. I called the court house today and I was told that my payment was received and was being sent back to me with an uncashed check...turns out it was just dismissed because the police officers never turned in my summons to to court house. however, my boyfriend who was with me the same night and got the same ticket and sent his plea form in with a money order and his summons just got a court order in the mail saying they never received his payment and he needs to appear in court or there will be a warrant out for his arrest. i called the court house with his summons number and they told me they had nothing on record for his summons number or his name and that he has no reason to show up at court next monday. i don't understand why he got a court order if they never even had his summons on record. what should he do??

1. Sponsored Links