Default Exceeding 55 MPH Yields $565 in Fines

My question involves a speeding ticket from the State of: New York

Last winter I ran a stop sign in NYC (2 points)..this fall I exceeded a 55 mph speed limit.
    For the spped violation...the court in a small town upstatate fined me $265 (inlcuidng $85 New York State Surcharge) + (4 points)

I was going over 55 and I didn't want to take a day off to appeal the ticket...so I plead guilty but claimed I wasn't going 70...as the officer stated. Judge accepted my guilty plea...but not explanation...fined me $265 and put 4 points on my license. Although I thought the $265 fine was excessive...I paid the ticket.

A week later...the State of New York sent me a letter that I would have to pay an additional $300 for what the NYS DMV calls a "Driver Responsibility Assessment." (for people who have 6 points on their license).

It seems to me as though such a law punishes people twice for the same offense...which would appear to be unconstiutional. But I have not idea of how I would go about fighting such a thing....

Exceeding the speed limit is wrong and I admit...but I think a fine amounting to $565 is out of bounds.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Exceeding 55 MPH Yields $565 in Fines

Lots of states are doing this. Only one that I know of inspired a popular backlash that caused the state to revoke the new fines.

Quote Quoting JimsSubaru
    View Post
    Any thoughts?
    Sure...

Quote Quoting JimsSubaru
    View Post
    It seems to me as though such a law punishes people twice for the same offense...which would appear to be unconstiutional. But I have not idea of how I would go about fighting such a thing....
    OK so lets assume that charging any amount for exceeding a specific number of points on your records is in fact unconstitutional... Does that mean that license suspensions (as a result of too many points) would be unconstitutional as well?

Suspensions are penalties too...
    I am right 97% of the time... Who cares about the other 4%!

Another intersting wrinkle is that the State of New York will not allow people to take a defensive driving course (to reduce the six points) in lieu of the $300 fine. If they really wanted to imporve driving in public...mandating the defensive driving courses would be a good option to give people. As they won't allow...this is just an excuse to collect more revenue.

License suspensions are necessary...to protect public...I guess what a higher court would have to do would be to see what the balance is...

Fines can be excessive... which I believe $565 for these relatively minor transgressions is...

1. Sponsored Links