Default Custody Case With False Abuse Accusations

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: California

Very convoluted case but to make it short:

I have custody of my daughter. Have for about 1.5 years. Her father was recently awarded one 4 hour visit once a week unsupervised. We do the exchange at a local police station. After last weeks visit (only their 2nd visit), her father called police to report that she had said something about being abused by a family friend of mine. He called the police 9 hours after we had our drop off at the police station. Now, wouldn't any person in their right mind have walked to the counter with her and demanded that she not go home with me? These allegations aren't the first time he has tried to harrass one of my friends with police allegations. They are totally unfounded and the police that came to question my friend opted to not file a report as they felt the allegations were false. The officers words were "we thought it was a bullshit story". What should I do? Should I go to court tomorrow and file something to try to stop his visits until this gets resolved? I can;t just sit back and let him say these things.

Default Re: Custody Case With False Abuse Accusations

Noone has any information? I know it didn't happen, but should I take her to see someone anyway? I would never take information like that lghtly if it had come from her mouth or anyone else's except his. I talked to my daughter, she told me it was not true and that she has no idea why "daddy would say such a mean thing". I called the court appointed psych to see if I could get her in today to talk to him,but haven't heard back yet.

Honestly, it sounds like you're doing what you can in the situation. You or your friend may be able to file a harassment suit eventually, but it will take more than one or two incidents before you'll have a reasonable case. In the mean time, since a report and charges were not actually filed, there really isn't too much that you can do beyond obtaining a statement from the investigating officer (he has to at least file a statement to account for the resolution of the claim) and save that for future legal actions. Your ex may one day file for a change of custody, and THEN you will be able to show these false allegations as evidence against such a motion.

I know it's not the most appealing answer, but the reality is that you really can't do too much but take it, and continue counseling for your daughter.

Thank you for responding. I figured I couldn't do much, but just sitting back and doing nothing is just hard to do.

1. Sponsored Links