Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Temping and Unemployment Benefits

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: Minnesota

I was laid off from my job on Weds. As part of my severence package, I get 10 weeks of salary continuance, getting paid every two weeks like a normal paycheck, so I will not be "offically" terminated according to their records until Feb 1st of next year, which means my unemployment wouldn't start until the second or third week in Feb. I used to work at a temp agency years ago, and have been in contact with them about picking up some work (one or two day jobs, or week long jobs, nothing long term) during this time period to sock away extra cash for my wedding next year. They've just made me "available" in their system, I haven't actually accepted a job from them yet. However, I'm concerned due to how this might affect my unemployment.

1) Would temping right now cause me to become ineligible for unemployment benefits, because I was technically employed by the temp agency before the offical lay-off date for my old job became effective?

2) Since I haven't actually taken a job from them yet, if I change my mind and tell them I'm not available, will I still be considered on their payroll for UI purposes, or am I only considered on their payroll when I actually take a position going forward?

3) If yes to 2, I contacted them before I got laid off (I knew it was coming) to see if they had any long term temp to hire positions available. They had a few but the price range was too low, so I declined those offers. But, as mentioned previously, I haven't actually worked there in almost 4 years. Will that effect my UI since it happened before I got laid off from my old full-time job?

Default Re: Temping and Unemployment Benefits

2) Since I haven't actually taken a job from them yet, if I change my mind and tell them I'm not available, will I still be considered on their payroll for UI purposes, or am I only considered on their payroll when I actually take a position going forward?
    Technically EDD will not known anything about the temp agencies that promise to offer you jobs or any relationship between you and them .

When you got a job at a company, they will report your salary to EDD every quarters, 4 times a years . If you work one or two day jobs, or week long jobs, during this time period You may be disqualified for benefits because EDD always contact your LAST employer to findout you are layoff or Voluntary Leaving (Quit) . In this case you are quitting job . If you wait until Feb 1st of next year you are OK for EDD because you are Layoff from your LAST employer .

Depending on your state....

Last I knew: You get laid off and a severance package. You should be filing for Unemployment TOMORROW and also mentioning the severance package.

Call or visit your state Unemployment office....

Quote Quoting PandorasBox
    View Post
    Depending on your state....

Last I knew: You get laid off and a severance package. You should be filing for Unemployment TOMORROW and also mentioning the severance package.

Call or visit your state Unemployment office....
    The thing is, I'm not getting a lump sum. I'm getting paid every two weeks, just like a regular paycheck. So I'm not going to be considered "laid off" until Feb. 1st. They aren't sending any information or notification to the employment offices that I've been laid off until then. So filing now wouldn't work, right? Because I would end up losing 2 months of my benefits while waiting for them to offically say I'm laid off?

You are providing conflicting information. Either you were laid off on Wednesday with a severance package that pays you for the next 10 weeks, or you remain an employee, being paid but not being required to come to work with a planned lay off in 10 weeks. It is one or the other; it can't be both. Your paperwork (which we can't see) should make this point clear.

Your status for UI is different depending on which it is. If it is the former and you take a temp job and then quit it, your UI status may be in jeopardy. If it is the latter and you take a temp job while still employed but leave the temp job before your actual layoff, you are likely in the clear. I'm speaking in general terms here, because I don't know any specifics about Minnesota law that might affect this.

Quote Quoting Scott67
    View Post
    You are providing conflicting information. Either you were laid off on Wednesday with a severance package that pays you for the next 10 weeks, or you remain an employee, being paid but not being required to come to work with a planned lay off in 10 weeks. It is one or the other; it can't be both. Your paperwork (which we can't see) should make this point clear.

Your status for UI is different depending on which it is. If it is the former and you take a temp job and then quit it, your UI status may be in jeopardy. If it is the latter and you take a temp job while still employed but leave the temp job before your actual layoff, you are likely in the clear. I'm speaking in general terms here, because I don't know any specifics about Minnesota law that might affect this.
    I apologize, but my paperwork from the company is not making it any clearer. It says that my last day of service is November 22nd, but that my employment termination date is February 1st. When I spoke to my HR department, they weren't any clearer on the subject and when I called the UI office, the lady wasn't sure either.

That doesn't sound conflicting to me. Your last day or work (service) is 11/22. Your last day as an employee is Feb. 1. They don't have to be the same thing.

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    That doesn't sound conflicting to me. Your last day or work (service) is 11/22. Your last day as an employee is Feb. 1. They don't have to be the same thing.
    Sorry, I've never been laid off before or had to claim unemployment, this is all new to me. So I should be filing for unemployment after Feb 1st? And temping between then and now won't affect my unemployment as long as I stop temping before Feb 1st?

You can't file until Feb. 1 because, up until that time, you are still an employee of Company X and being paid by Company X.

You can work temp in the meantime. You are not an employee of the temp agency until you actual start work at their client. However, you must be careful not to quit a temp assignment unless under VERY stringent, extentuating circumstances.

Quote Quoting PattyPA
    View Post
    You can't file until Feb. 1 because, up until that time, you are still an employee of Company X and being paid by Company X.

You can work temp in the meantime. You are not an employee of the temp agency until you actual start work at their client. However, you must be careful not to quit a temp assignment unless under VERY stringent, extentuating circumstances.
    Thank you so much. I don't want to start temping and then, if they offer me something I don't want to do because the pay is too low, or the hours are too wierd, or it would interfere with my looking for a full time permenant position, lose my benefits by turning it down under the whole "turning down work" guideline.

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast