Default License Suspended Despite Paying Fines and DWLS Dismissal

My question involves a driver's license issued by the State of: KY

Description letter as I am sending to attorney...

I appreciate you taking the time to take a look at this information. It has gotten too complex for me to follow. I want to get this resolved but do not know where to even begin. I would appreciate ANY advice you have. I have laid this out as it happened and have copies of the information I have.

This mess began when I was living in Florida during the winter of 2007-2008. I was simply issued with a speeding ticket in Lake County, FL - attached as Exhibit 1. At the time I was playing the winter tour and living with two other guys in Sanford, FL. Before I left Florida to play on the summer tour, I paid the fine of $83.50 as indicated on the ticket and evinced from my receipt and note in Exhibit 2.

It was not until October of 2008 when I went to have the address of my license changed; when I found out my license was suspended. The clerk said it was from an unpaid traffic violation in Florida. I called Lake County to see what the problem was. I was told that the officer “misquoted” me the amount of the ticket and the unpaid charges went delinquent and eventually suspended my license. I had to drive to Q-School in Florida within days. I overnighted payment of the overdue amount of $28.75 with a letter shown in Exhibit 3 – all shown in my receipt in Exhibit 4. After repeated conversations with Lake County, I was assured that everything was OKAY and taken care of.

Coming through Murfreesboro, TN (Rutherford County) – returning from Q-School – I was pulled over for following too closely. The officer said he would let me go with a warning, but returned to tell me my license was still suspended. So I had a ride to come to Tennessee to pick me up and take me to Elizabethtown. In Kentucky, I paid hundreds of dollars in reinstatement fees and had my license reinstated.

Now my license is valid, I have a court date awaiting me in Rutherford County, TN for DRIVING WHILE SUSPENDED. I spoke with several attorneys regarding the procedure and what will likely happen if I present this information and ALL said the judge would likely dismiss the charges.
    I arrived at my court date on January 11, 2009 with this documentation and to plead my case. The Judge called my name and I said there has been a misunderstanding and had the documents ready to plead my case. He pointed me over to an assistant county attorney. He didn’t even look at my documents but told me the charges would be DROPPED if I paid a fine. I said I have a case but he interrupted saying the information I have doesn’t make ANY difference. I asked, “How would this show up on my record?” He said it would show up as “driving on a suspended license” and that the charges were dismissed. To clarify, I asked if this would all be over and behind me if I pay this fine. He said yes. So I paid the $236.85 fine evinced by my receipt in Exhibit 5.

So feeling better, I carried on with my life. Then on May 6, I received another letter from Tennessee’s Department of Safety, Financial Responsibility Section, saying that my license is SUSPENDED. The letter, Exhibit 6, makes absolutely no sense saying I could regain my driving privileges six months earlier, November 18, 2008. The letter needs to be interpreted.

I have called the Financial Responsibility Section endlessly trying to get them to explain why my license is suspended.

This all gives me a headache and truly would appreciate any advice or suggestions you may have. I have summarized it below to make this a bit more understandable:

1. January 31, 2008 – Received speeding ticket in Lake County, FL
    2. March 5, 2008 – Paid FULL amount of ticket $83.50
    3. October 8, 2008 – Found out my license was suspended when getting new license for a change of address
    a. Was told officer “misquoted” ticket amount
    4. October 8, 2008 – Overnighted $28.75 to Lake County, FL
    5. October 10, 2008 – Payment was received and was ASSURED matter was resolved
    6. November 11, 2008 – Pulled over in Rutherford County, TN for following too closely
    7. November 11, 2008 – Ticketed for DRIVING ON SUSPENDED
    8. November 12, 2008 – Paid reinstatement fees
    9. November 24, 2008 – New driver’s license issued
    10. January 16, 2009 – Court date in Rutherford Co.
    a. Told nothing could be done
    b. Paid $236.85 fine
    11. May 4, 2009 – License re-suspended

ANY THOUGHTS??

Default Re: License Suspended Despite Paying Fines and DWLS Dismissal

Quote Quoting golfer1982
    View Post
    Description letter as I am sending to attorney...
    What attorney? Did you hire an attorney, paid him/her a retainer or a flat fee to handle this matter for you?

Quote Quoting golfer1982
    View Post
    So feeling better, I carried on with my life. Then on May 6, I received another letter from Tennessee’s Department of Safety, Financial Responsibility Section, saying that my license is SUSPENDED. The letter, Exhibit 6, makes absolutely no sense saying I could regain my driving privileges six months earlier, November 18, 2008. The letter needs to be interpreted.

I have called the Financial Responsibility Section endlessly trying to get them to explain why my license is suspended.
    And until you can get to speak to someone who will explain to you why your driving privilege in TN is under suspension, and what you must do to get it reinstated, then this issue will not get resolved.

Quote Quoting golfer1982
    View Post
    1. January 31, 2008 – Received speeding ticket in Lake County, FL
    2. March 5, 2008 – Paid FULL amount of ticket $83.50
    3. October 8, 2008 – Found out my license was suspended when getting new license for a change of address
    a. Was told officer “misquoted” ticket amount
    4. October 8, 2008 – Overnighted $28.75 to Lake County, FL
    5.October 10, 2008 – Payment was received and was ASSURED matter was resolved
    Just because the matter was resolved with the court does not by any means suggest that you driving privilege and or license were re-instated. Besides, and although I think you've left out an important detail regarding the TN suspension, my guess is that points 1 through 10 have nothing to do with point 11. Unless that “important detail” that I eluded to, was the fact that you failed to provide proof of financial responsibility to the officer (when you were pulled over in TN) or to the court when you appeared to have your case adjudicated...

Default Re: License Suspended Despite Paying Fines and DWLS Dismissal

I lived in Murfreesboro, then moved to Jacksonville Fl, and haven't been able to get my license straight yet. It has been a living nightmare for me. I keep gettting pulled over for driving, but I have no family here or any means to survive without driving. I am now paying a driver an ass load of money weekly to get me to and from work until this is all resolved. I wish you the best. Good luck!

1. Sponsored Links