Default Tenant in Jail, Want to Evict

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

Hi all, I have a tenant that has fallen behind in rent payment the last couple of months. We agreed on a payment plan for the missed rent that he signed. He hasn't come thru with any payments as agreed upon and missed more rents. He promised me he would be out by the 1st of this month so I could rerent it. I posted an ad for his unit, but noticed that towards the end of last month that he was not going to be out in time for a new renter. So I reluctantly didn't rent it, but I have perspective tenants that would like to rent it. I want him out and fast, so I can re rent it. The problem is I just found out he is in jail and will be for the next 15 or so days. (His girlfriend called me to inform me of this) He hasn't paid rent for the past 3 to 4 months and if I give him a 5 day pay or quit he is not going to pay in 5 days and then have to file an eviction for $100 and have him served for another $125. Then wait for a court date sometime within the next month and a half to two months, get the eviction and give him 2 weeks to get out, so I am looking at being able to rerent in February instead of Nov.

OR, can I consider the unit to be abandoned and have him out now and sue later for past rent?

Do I have any options here to get him out asap? He is on a verbal month to month lease, or do I have to go thru the 3 month process and lose $1000's that I will never see from him? What can I do? What are my options. Thanks in advance for any help.

Default Re: Tenant in Jail, Want to Evict

You'll have to go through the formal eviction process.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links