Default I Want to Change My Daughter's Last Name to Mine

My question involves name change laws in the State of: Chicago, Illinois.

My daughter will be 3 soon. I would like to change her "fathers" last name to my last name. He is a total stranger to her and a total deadbeat. Last time he saw her she was a few months old. NO CHILD SUPPORT. NOTHING! Well it would be so much easier to enroll her in school and everything else with her last name legally changed to my last name. He doesn't show up at his child support meetings which has been going on for over a year now. I don't even know where he lives. His parents wont accept any paper work for him. I know i need his consent but is there another way of "letting him know" about this? I heard posting the court date in the newspaper but not too sure if that applies for illinois. Out of spite he will say NO but i feel he has no say since he does NOTHING! I also want to do this before she gets enrolled into school and without having to pay hundreds of dollars...... please HELP!

Default Re: I Want to Change My Daughters Last Name to Mine Quick

Quote Quoting Annette
    View Post
    My question involves name change laws in the State of: Chicago, Illinois.

My daughter will be 3 soon. I would like to change her "fathers" last name to my last name. He is a total stranger to her and a total deadbeat. Last time he saw her she was a few months old. NO CHILD SUPPORT. NOTHING! Well it would be so much easier to enroll her in school and everything else with her last name legally changed to my last name. He doesn't show up at his child support meetings which has been going on for over a year now. I don't even know where he lives. His parents wont accept any paper work for him. I know i need his consent but is there another way of "letting him know" about this? I heard posting the court date in the newspaper but not too sure if that applies for illinois. Out of spite he will say NO but i feel he has no say since he does NOTHING! I also want to do this before she gets enrolled into school and without having to pay hundreds of dollars...... please HELP!
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if Dad doesn't agree then it isn't going to happen.

Her last name should not be an issue when enrolling her in school.

If dad won't agree, mom can still try to convince the court that it's in the child's best interest to permit a legal name change. As it stands, if there's been no contact and no support for almost three years, odds are dad won't even appear in court to challenge a name change petition.

See 735 ILCS 5/21-101.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    If dad won't agree, mom can still try to convince the court that it's in the child's best interest to permit a legal name change. As it stands, if there's been no contact and no support for almost three years, odds are dad won't even appear in court to challenge a name change petition.

See 735 ILCS 5/21-101.
    thanks for the advice. i really appreciate it.

Default Re: I Want to Change My Daughter's Last Name to Mine

[QUOTE=Annette;364267]but i feel he has no say since he does NOTHING! /QUOTE]
    how you feel doesnt matter. HE IS THIS CHILD'S FATHER, and he has as many rights as you. wether he pays cs or sees the child or not. and he has every right to have a say in his child's life.

1. Sponsored Links