Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Question Child Name Change in New York State

    My question involves name change laws in the State of: New York.

    I am a single mother with sole custody. We have not seen or heard from my exhusband since 2002. He has an order for child support which he hasn't paid since 2001. All contact with my son has been cut off by the courts until he completes a psychiatric evaluation (ordered in 2000) which he has not done.

    My son, now ten, wants to change his last name to my maiden name. How do we do this? Child support collection agencies in NYS have been unable to locate him.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Behind a Desk

    Default Re: Child Name Change in New York State

    You petition the court (normally the court with jurisdiction over custody matters) for a name change, making service on the father or complying with the court's order for substituted service. The court may require evidence that the name change is in the minor's best interest, but given dad's abandonment I don't think that would be particularly difficult to establish. You can find instructions for filing a name change petition here.

    1. Sponsored Links

Similar Threads

  1. Changing a Child's Name: Name Change of a Minor Child in New York
    By melally in forum Name Change
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2011, 08:03 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2009, 09:16 AM
  3. Name Change in New York State
    By Drosopigiotisa in forum Name Change
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 10:04 AM
  4. Child Support - New York State
    By NYMom06 in forum Child Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 02:02 PM
  5. When is child support over in the state of New York?
    By sbstorm in forum Child Custody and Visitation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Forum Sponsor
Name Change Forms
Quick, easy-to-use forms for all 50 states.

Untitled Document