Default Driveway Encroachment

My question involves real estate located in the State of: Connecticut

The house was built in 1970. We bought it in 2000. It turns out the driveway is 3 ft over the vacant lot. A developer bought 4 lots next to us in 2004. He built a house on 3 lots of land and sold it two years ago. He left the single lot where our driveway extended to.

Because there is a tree, it'd be expensive for us to move the driveway and we will also need to change the walkway configuration etc in order to have enough room to enter the garage - very costly.

The developer demands $25000 from us to buy his lot (0.1 acre, about 50ft wide, too small to build anything, town zoning employee said) - He paid $6000 in 2004. Assessment is $1000.

I think our case fits the condition for "Prescriptive Easements".

I want to settle the issue but can't spend too much money. If I threaten to go to court to claim adverse procession, would he have a chance to win? I don't want to lose and have to pay for his ransom price for the lot or spend a fortune to cut down a tree and build a new driveway and walkway.

Thank you.

Default Re: Driveway Encroachment

The driveway was installed when?

Has the owner of the strip of land asked you to remove the encroachment?

In Connecticut, the period of adverse use must be at least fifteen (15) years. Connecticut Code §37-40; 47-25.

Hi I also live in CT. I have been reading this forum for years but this is the first time I have replied. We have lived in our home for over 20 yrs. Over 3 yrs ago we were sued. We have an excellent case for a prescriptive easement but nothing is easy. I just wanted you to know that this has been a living nightmare. The guy suing us wanted a jury trial but we are now going to have a judge decide. $30,000 so far and it is not over. We just want to drive back and forth to our home. We are not in the country but a big city we are not not talking about acres but a few feet. Well my point is whatever you decide it is going to cost you one way or another. I hope it all works out for you.

1. Sponsored Links