Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How Long Do Police Have To Arrest Me

I live in connecticut and currently have a full protective order on me from a girlfriend. It originally came about from me dumping a beverage on her at school. Today the police came to my house looking to arrest me because as the story goes, her brother saw me with her in my car. I was not at home when they went there and I had called the officer back later on. He said he went to my house to make an arrest but however because I wasn't there he said he had a certain amount of time to either arrest me or turn myself in otherwise he wouldnt be able to arrest me without applying for a warrant through a judge. My question is how long do they have to either arrest me or have me turn myself in?

Default Re: How Long Do Police Have To Arrest Me

Depends on the jurisdiction.

Regardless, it's pretty trivial for an officer to get a warrant for your arrest if you've been busted defying a court order. You might want to consult an attorney, and arrange for a peaceable surrender.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

What do you mean by that? Theres also a chance the judge won't sign it. There is no solid proof here, her brother has never met me

And how can I find out the jurisdiction? What is that?

They have until the statute of limitations run. You will have to see Conn law for that, but we are talking years.

The police need to witness the crime, OR, they have to take reports and investigate a civilian complaint and take the evidence to the State Attorney or District Attorney who needs sworn statements to take to a judge to get a warrant.

If there is a warrant for your arrest, get your affairs in order. If you have money, hire an attorney. If your state has bail bonds, go to the bail bond and make arrangements for bail. Then go surrender with the bondsman and you will be out within a few hours or so.

If you do not have money, then enjoy your stay in jail. (Assuming there is a warrant.) The charge should not have a very high bail. If it is more than you can afford, you have your attorney file for a bail reduction.

Are you saying that her brother made up the story about her being in your car, or are you saying that she was with you and he saw the two of you together?

And generally how long do they have? What are the time ranges?

You can't read? They have until the statute of limitations expire. The exact length depends on the charge itself, however we are talking generally speaking 1 to 3 years.

You have a computer. Look it up.

In any case, this is not going to be relevant in your situation and you will find no help there.

Answer the question.

Were you in the car with the girl you had been court ordered to stay away from?
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

Quote Quoting Connecticut Statutes, Sec. 54-1k. Issuance of protective orders in cases of stalking, harassment, sexual assault, risk of injury to or impairing morals of a child.
    (a) Upon the arrest of a person for a violation of subdivision (1) or (2) of subsection (a) of section 53-21, section 53a-70, 53a-70a, 53a-70c, 53a-71, 53a-72a, 53a-72b or 53a-73a, or any attempt thereof, or section 53a-181c, 53a-181d or 53a-181e, the court may issue a protective order pursuant to this section. Upon the arrest of a person for a violation of section 53a-182b or 53a-183, the court may issue a protective order pursuant to this section if it finds that such violation caused the victim to reasonably fear for his or her physical safety. Such order shall be an order of the court, and the clerk of the court shall cause a certified copy of such order to be sent to the victim, and a copy of such order, or the information contained in such order, to be sent by facsimile or other means within forty-eight hours of its issuance to the appropriate law enforcement agency.

(b) A protective order issued under this section may include provisions necessary to protect the victim from threats, harassment, injury or intimidation by the defendant, including but not limited to, an order enjoining the defendant from (1) imposing any restraint upon the person or liberty of the victim, (2) threatening, harassing, assaulting, molesting or sexually assaulting the victim, or (3) entering the dwelling of the victim. A protective order issued under this section may include provisions necessary to protect any animal owned or kept by the victim including, but not limited to, an order enjoining the defendant from injuring or threatening to injure such animal. Such order shall be made a condition of the bail or release of the defendant and shall contain the following language: "In accordance with section 53a-223 of the Connecticut general statutes, any violation of this order constitutes criminal violation of a protective order which is punishable by a term of imprisonment of not more than five years, a fine of not more than five thousand dollars, or both. Additionally, in accordance with section 53a-107 of the Connecticut general statutes, entering or remaining in a building or any other premises in violation of this order constitutes criminal trespass in the first degree which is punishable by a term of imprisonment of not more than one year, a fine of not more than two thousand dollars, or both. Violation of this order also violates a condition of your bail or release and may result in raising the amount of bail or revoking release."

(c) The information contained in and concerning the issuance of any protective order issued under this section shall be entered in the registry of protective orders pursuant to section 51-5c.
    It's my impression that, with that penalty, you're looking at a five year limitations period. The shortest limitations period, for misdemeanors, is one year. Ct. Statutes, Sec. 54-193 et seq. "Only" being charged with contempt seems like it would be quite a break, given that potential consequence.

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    It's my impression that, with that penalty, you're looking at a five year limitations period. The shortest limitations period, for misdemeanors, is one year. Ct. Statutes, Sec. 54-193 et seq. "Only" being charged with contempt seems like it would be quite a break, given that potential consequence.
    What is a limitations period?

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast