Default Misdemeanor Fleeing an Officer

My question involves criminal law for the state of: minnesota
    i was walking with a friend and we had been drinking and my friend was feeling sick so sat down and i seen headlights coming and ran the other way turned out its a cop and he chased me and i was arrested. i didnt do anything illegal except run and they searched me and i had nothing and i refused a breathalizer and got taken to jail. can i get this dropped? or any advice?

Default Re: Misdemeanor Fleeing an Officer

What is the code section you are charged with?

In general, running is not going to be a crime. The state will have to show something more than the fact that you were running. It could be that they saw your friend go down and saw you run ... perhaps they originally thought you attacked him?

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

End of Watch: Deputy Danny Oliver

End of Watch: Detective Michael Davis, Jr.

the statue is 609.487 subd. 6

my friend was already sitting there and in the report says saw her sitting and me by her and i ran.

Quote Quoting blondebabe323
    View Post
    the statue is 609.487 subd. 6

my friend was already sitting there and in the report says saw her sitting and me by her and i ran.
    If you have the report, why does it say he went after you and arrested you? Did he try to detain you and you ran?

Here is the code section he has charged you with:

Subd. 6.Fleeing, other than vehicle.

Whoever, for the purpose of avoiding arrest, detention, or investigation, or in order to conceal or destroy potential evidence related to the commission of a crime, attempts to evade or elude a peace officer, who is acting in the lawful discharge of an official duty, by means of running, hiding, or by any other means except fleeing in a motor vehicle, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

End of Watch: Deputy Danny Oliver

End of Watch: Detective Michael Davis, Jr.

And what was the official duty? what lawful discharge was he attempting to effectuate? what would the arrest or detention have been for? were you literally running? and just from headlights meaning you didn't know it was an officer? when you found out did you stop? I'm having a hard time with you seeing headlights and running, you didn't walk and hide? there were no other headlights? yeah generally running isn't enough, but combined with other factors it can be, and although it may not justify the cop's actions, a girl running away from a sick friend at the sight of headlights is pretty dang suspicious to me

i really dont know why i ran. i guess i was just scared of who it could be when i saw the headligts i have a crazy ex who tried to kill me and he got released last month and i think the officer just wanted to see what we were doing cuz it was late at night. by the time i realized what was going on i was getting tackled and cuffed. like i said we had been drinking.

1. Sponsored Links