Arrow Can I Get Custody of My Daughter, Not Biologically Mine

My question involves a child custody case from the State of: TN

My husband was previously married to a woman who had a 3 year old daughter by some one else. In time He had a daughter with her. Complications have came up to where we feel the girls would be better and safer with us. So we are wanting to get custody. My husband has raised the oldest girl since she was 3 she is now 13. We both look at her like our daughter. We live in Middle Tn. Is there anything we can do to get custody of the 13 year old that is not biologically my husbands? Her biological father is not in the picture and doesnt want to be. What can we do? Please help! Thankyou

Default Re: Can I Get Custody of My Daughter, Not Biologically Mine

Quote Quoting ~motherof3~
    View Post
    My question involves a child custody case from the State of: TN

My husband was previously married to a woman who had a 3 year old daughter by some one else. In time He had a daughter with her. Complications have came up to where we feel the girls would be better and safer with us. So we are wanting to get custody. My husband has raised the oldest girl since she was 3 she is now 13. We both look at her like our daughter. We live in Middle Tn. Is there anything we can do to get custody of the 13 year old that is not biologically my husbands? Her biological father is not in the picture and doesnt want to be. What can we do? Please help! Thankyou
    Your husband is a legal stranger to this child. It is not likely that he will succeed in in attempt of custody. Does dad have custody/visitation of the daughter that is his?

You are a legal stranger to both of these children. You won't have any standing whatsoever.

Have you talked with an attorney about the feasibility of having the bio-dad sign terminate his parental rights so your husband can adopt? It's a long shot, but it's about the only thing you can do in such a situation.

You missed the part about the divorce? He's no longer a step-parent.

The best bet would likely be for mom to agree to let the 13-year-old stay with him, preferably under a court-ordered guardianship.

[QUOTE=Mr. Knowitall;362583]You missed the part about the divorce? He's no longer a step-parent. [QUOTE]

Whoops! My sincerest apologies. Thanks for keeping me honest Mr. Knowitall. You are absolutely correct. The fact that he has no legal interaction within the child's life menas that he's S.O.L. Unless his ex agrees with him that it is in her childrens' best interests to not separate them, he really can't do much other than worry about his child's welfare. Again, sorry for the faux pas.

1. Sponsored Links