Exclamation In Jail in Michigan for Non-Payment of Child Support

My question involves child support in the State of: Michigan.

Is there anyone or any organization I can go to to help a relative in jail for non-payment of support??? He is a good person who has paid over the years and unfortunately had a visiting judge who did not know the details of the case and is known to be very strict and hard on child support issues and he put him in jail for 6 months! He does not have any record - never did anything wrong in his life ever and just paid a big amount 2 days before his trail as an agreement to stay out of jail. His court-appointed attorney did not show up and I talked to him and he said he thought he had someone covering it, but apparently they didn't make it! Justice is not being served here!

I don't want to hear from mother's who haven't received support. I am a woman myself and I believe that a man should support their children, but if you knew all the facts of this case you would side with my relative who always put his children first!

So, if anyone knows of anyone in Michigan I can go to, to talk to about my relative's case and help get him out of jail, or tell me how to go about helping him, please email me. *I can't afford an attorney for him and he can't afford one either- he is in the process of getting social security disability as he is disabled** Thank you for any advice you have!

Default Re: In Jail in Michigan for Non-Payment of Child Support- Help - This is So Unfair

I'm confused. I thought if a person had obtained representation, then a trial would be rescheduled if an attorney is not present. How was the trial able to go forward without your relative's representation? Did he waive it or something?

Default Re: In Jail in Michigan for Non-Payment of Child Support- Help - This is So Unfair

No. he didn't waive it. He said that the Judge said, "If your attorney is not here in 5 minutes, you are going to jail". And...that is what happened! I don't understand it either. I talked to his no-show court-appointed attorney this afternoon and he said that he had asked another attorney to cover the hearing/trial for him. He said he was unaware that the attorney did not show up. He told me if he gets time, he will look into it. Do you think I could call the court and ask them? FYI- I am in Florida and this is happening in Michigan so it is hard to help from here.

Quote Quoting bren1963
    View Post
    No. he didn't waive it. He said that the Judge said, "If your attorney is not here in 5 minutes, you are going to jail". And...that is what happened! I don't understand it either. I talked to his no-show court-appointed attorney this afternoon and he said that he had asked another attorney to cover the hearing/trial for him. He said he was unaware that the attorney did not show up. He told me if he gets time, he will look into it. Do you think I could call the court and ask them? FYI- I am in Florida and this is happening in Michigan so it is hard to help from here.
    Unfortunately, there are alot of biased Judges in the CS system. All he can do for now will be to try to get a hold of his attorney to get a transcript of the hearing. If the Judge did make that specific statement, and if the agreement to pay was written and filed with the court, he should be able to get at least a rehearing.

What exactly led up to this? It sounds like he was being sentenced for the criminal non-support of his children, either following conviction by trial or by guilty plea.

Thank you for the information. I will pass it onto my relative and try to get him a re-hearing.

Have a wonderful weekend!

1. Sponsored Links