Question Statute of Limitations in Utah

My question involves collection proceedings in the State of: Utah

In 2000 I had a medical bill that was sent to collections. I received several phone calls a day and threatening letters from the collection agency that did not follow through on any of their legal proceedings they were threatening. So, I sent them a cease and desist letter which they stopped contacting me. In the mean time I paid the debt. They are still reporting this on my credit report but they have falsified their records on the credit report claiming the account opened in January of 2009. The original debt was referred to their office in October 2000. Unfortunately I no longer have my documentation proving the debt was paid. I am thinking I may have to pay the debt again to get it off my credit. So here are my questions:

1. What is the statute of limitations for a third party collection agency to collect on a medical debt in Utah?
    2. What actions can I take to protect myself and get rid of this for good?
    3. IF I am able to get a statement showing the original date the account was opened, are there any actions I can take for the collection agency reporting the wrong date to the credit bureaus?
    4. Are there any other options or actions I can take short of paying the debt again?

Default Re: Statute of Limitations in Utah

Are you asking about a date after which they can't call you and ask you to pay a debt? That would be the date you follow your rights under the FDCPA and instruct them to stop. Otherwise, even if they are time-barred from suing you, they can still ask you to pay.

If you pay so much as a penny toward the debt, expect them to treat it as a novation that restarts the statute of limitations.

1. Sponsored Links