Default While Companies Check Your Criminal Background, Do They Ever Care to Check Education

This always was confusing to me. I have applied and received jobs where having a BA/BS was a requirement( I do have BA). It seems like they never check for it however and most background checks involved the credit/criminal history?
    Whats up with this?

Default Re: While Companies Check Your Criminal Background, Do They Ever Care to Check Educat

Background checks are much like snowflakes - no two are the same.

Some employers will call all of your references and call the school you claim to have graduated from to verify that you attended and graduated. Others won't.

Some will run a criminal background check and a credit check. Some will skip the credit check. Some will tell you're they're going to run an intensive check, and then don't. Some background checks are completely laughable.

A few years ago, when I was working for a large search provider, I was told I would have an intensive background check run as a condition of employment. All that was going to show up was that I had been fingerprinted in the course of studying for my teaching credentials, I wasn't worried. I was given the opportunity to get a copy of it, and I about fell over when I got my copy.

The "background check" amounted to little more than a Google search on my name. They paid a lot of money for that.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: While Companies Check Your Criminal Background, Do They Ever Care to Check Educat

With me it depends on the position. I'll check the educational background of my R&D director candidates. I won't check it for my receptionist candidates.

I agree with the snowflake analogy. I've had jobs where they checked little or nothing, after a grandious explanation of how thorough the background check would be, then had other jobs where detectives went back 10+ years to talk to my high school teachers!

Background checks are like a box of chocolates....
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

Every recruitment agency I work with will ask candidates to give permission for them to check both education and criminal background. This is in addition to asking to sight original certificates and transcripts. For most jobs this will mean checking with any institution from which you claim you gained a qualification that one was issued to you by them, but it won't be a deep background check.

I'm pretty sure two companies never did a background check on me even though I submitted the info. The last two companies who have supposedly a vigorous interviewing and background check both didn't check my education or credit score. The criminal background check bit my butt though

1. Sponsored Links