Default Unemployment After Being Fired for Poor Performance

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: CALIFORNIA

I am going to try to keep this short and I am hoping I can get some help.

I was let go from my last job for Poor Performance. My termination letter stated a few reasons for Poor Performance and I did not agree to the majority of them, so I did not sign it when I was let go. The few issues that I do agree on were areas in which I was not trained in. I had asked for help and was not given it. I worked there almost 2 years and never received a review but still got my bonus's. Not once did I know I was doing a bad job because I was never told I was until the week I was let go. I did have one verbal warning about 3 months after I started for the way I organized my desk. I also received gifts from the CEO and his assistant for work I was pulled aside to do for them. Anyhow, I have to go to a hearing next week and I am very nervous. How should I approach this? Any help would be great!

Default Re: Poor Performance -California

Basically, just tell them what you told us. Poor performance does not usually disqualify an employee for benefits, unless the employer can provide clear and unambiguous proof that the employee COULD have performed to standard and deliberately chose not to.

If I may offer a suggestion, it does not work to your benefit to refuse to sign a write up. Signing it does not mean you agree with it; it means you have been advised of management's view on the matter. Refusal to sign can be considered insubordination, which is a firing offense. I understand that this was a termination letter and not a write up so it may not have made any difference, but it can have an affect on any future references as well. Just something to keep in mind.

1. Sponsored Links