Default Does a Minor Misdemeanor Drug Charge Prevent You from Owning Firearms

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Ohio

My husband was pulled over for allegedly speeding the other night on his way home from work. It was approximately 1:30 am when the county deputy pulled him over. He claimed that he clocked him going 10mph over the speed limit. He then told my husband that because it was after midnight he was going to call the k-9 unit to search his vehichle. (crap i know!) But my husband who thought it was "no big deal", his words not mine, told the officer that he had a glass marijuana pipe and 6 roaches in the console of his truck.
    The only thing he got a ticket for was a minor misdemeanor for possession of marijuana under 100 grams. No speeding, no paraphenalia. We have contacted 2 different lawyers who are trying to charge us $2500 to fight this charge.(which we can;t afford) I found out through my own research on the net that the only penalty for this is a $100 fine. These lawyers are trying to tell us that he will have his drivers license suspended for 6 months, and will not be able to be in possession of a firearm ever. (he is an avid hunter and owns several guns).
    So i guess my question is , is this true? It clearly states in the revised code 2925.11 that it does not apply to minor misdemeanors and that a minor misdemeanor does not create a criminal record? Are these lawyers being truthful or trying to take us for $2500 when we could just pay the $100 fine and be done with it?

Default Re: Does a Minor Misdemeanor Drug Charge Prevent You from Owning Firearms

In some state your licenses is suspended for a certain amt of time for any drug possession. I saw on two sites about your licenses being suspend. Idk about his gun rights,it seems crazy that something that's not even a misdemeanor would effect him having a gun but it could be. Is he entailed to a legal aid,maybe if you call some other lawyers they will be less or at least offer a free consultation. If 2 lawyer bought up the gun issue they are probably right,ohio seems pretty strict.

http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4557

http://www.marijuana.com/drug-war-he...ard-times.html (there stuff about carrying a gun)

For all drug convictions, including minor misdemeanors, the offender's driver's license is also suspended for a period of 6 months - 5 years. Professional licenses are also suspended. I saw this on another site also.

1. Sponsored Links