Default Unemployment Insurance Denied - Voluntary Quit Due to Health Reasons

My question involves unemployment benefits for the state of: CA

I would very much like to get some advise on my current situation. anybody that can offer me advise, I would very much appreciate it.

I was laid of like many over 6 months ago and was given CA unemployment. However, in June 2009, I finnally landed a job. However, this job was incredibly stressful with expectations beyond what was initially described to me. This stress unfortunately caused me to develop health issues that prevented me from sleeping and causing costant anxiety/depression issues. Two weeks in, I consulted a doctor and was given sleep medication. This made things worse. I consulted the doctor again and recieved a different medication at 3 weeks in. This also made things worse. Through out this time I communicated these issues with my supervisor and he allowed me to attempt working from home to lesson the stress. However, the sleeplessness continued and my health physically and mentally declined quickly. My doctor even agreed that if this continued after a month, the job does not outweigh my health. I continued trying to work with my employer on this issue, but after 1 months time of sleep deprivation, my body and mind quit. I had to quit the job.

While I was employed, I constantly communicated to my supervisor what was going on and tried his suggestions such as working from home and taking things at a slower pace, but the issue of not sleeping continued and it eventually did not matter what I was asked to do, my mind and body was barely able to focus on anything.

After quitting, I then tried to reinstate my Unemployment insurance, but was denied. I still have the option to appeal, but would very much like to know if anyone has some expertise and advise on this issue. The CA unemployment website offers this http://www.edd.ca.gov/UIBDG/Voluntar...35.htm#General
    in thier eligibility section for voluntary quits involving health.

Is this a valid claim that I may be able to contest? If so, is there anything I can do to make my case stronger?

Thanks in advance.

Exclamation Re: Unemployment Insurance Denied - Voluntary Quit Due to Health Reasons

To receive UI you must be physically capable of working, which you are not. You should apply for SDI instead.

Default Re: Unemployment Insurance Denied - Voluntary Quit Due to Health Reasons

Thank you for the reply. Since the end of this job, I spent all my time and resources healing myself and to make a long story short, I feel mostly healed (or have the situation under control) and ready to go back into the work force.

With this information, would you still recommend I seek SDI and not continue with trying to re-open my unemployment claim?

1. Sponsored Links