Default What Happens to an Old Warrant

My question involves an arrest warrant from the State of: Houston

I was attending Louisiana State University in 1986 and was in possession of a Texas driving license. I dropped my courses in LSU, planned to visit friends in Texas before leaving the country permanently. A friend of mine was in the car sales business in Houston and was trying to sell a Camaro in Baton Rouge. The car did not sell and he asked me to drive it back for him. I gladly accepted and I used it to move my belonging.. basically, books, two suitcases and other personal stuff.

The car had a dealer plate.

I was going 59 in a 55 zone in Beaumont TX and was stopped by a police officer. I guess becasue I was 18 years old driving new Camaro... I spoke little English but had all vehicle documentation: registration + insurance.

I was given a ticket for using a dealer car to tranpsort stuff through States. I did understand what happened and did not know what to say ... I countined to Houston.

I left the country three days later but asked a girl that owed me $$$ to pay the ticket - around $50 -$60 at the time.... she never did & never heard from her.

I returned in 1989 for a visist and decided to renew my license. The person at the driving license office told me that a warrant has been issued for me and had there been an officer available I would have been arrested. She renewed my license and asked me to pay by mail.

I called the judge and wanted to pay - the fine almost tripled. I offered to pay the original fine but was told there were expenses and the balance was under $200.

Still a student, I couldn't afford the $$$ not to mention did not beleive that I deserved the ticket. I left Texas again.

Now I have a job offer in the US.
    Do you think the warrant for something like this still exist after 23 years?
    Is my name on the border? Will I get arrested if I enter from New York instead of Houston for example?
    What would be the best way to deal with this case?

Default Re: What Happens to an Old Warrant

Do you think the warrant for something like this still exist after 23 years?
    yes I do, especially since you were out of country. Unless a warrant is withdrawn or served, it remains active until either of those two actions are taken.

Is my name on the border?
    No but it you post it, I will grab a can of paint and make it so.

Will I get arrested if I enter from New York instead of Houston for example?
    You could be arrested regardless where you enter but chances are if you enter in Texas, there would be a greater chance of the warrant surfacing at that time.

What would be the best way to deal with this case?
    call the court involved and ask them if sending them lots of money will remedy the situation. If it won't, ask them what it will take to remedy the situation.

Thx for your reply... you mentioned a warrant can be "withdrawn".. how?

Do you think the warrant is at the state level of federal?? if at the state level what would my name be at LA for example??

Quote Quoting Chafman
    View Post
    Thx for your reply... you mentioned a warrant can be "withdrawn".. how?

Do you think the warrant is at the state level of federal?? if at the state level what would my name be at LA for example??
    a court would be the party that withdraws or cancels the warrant if there was reason to. If the reason for the warrant were satisfied before the warrant was served, the warrant would be withdrawn or cancelled.

if this was a state issue, it would be a state warrant. Now, due to computerized records, just about everything from one state is available to another state, if sought so I suppose your warrant could show up anywhere if your background was looked at but if you are in Texas with and in contact with Texas authorities, it would more likely be seen.

Thank you - very informative information. I guess I will contact the court and follow up on the warrant status.

I have seen ads for sites where one can find out the status by paying $$$ ? Are they reliable or a scam?

If reliable, do you know a good site.

Thx,

I have seen ads for sites where one can find out the status by paying $$$ ? Are they reliable or a scam?

If reliable, do you know a good site.
    well, they could actually be reliable but they cannot do anything you cannot do. Contact the clerk of the court of the court that issued the warrant and explain.

1. Sponsored Links