Default Someone Called Me Today and They Said They Were Going to Kill Me

My question involves criminal law for the state of: pennsylvania

it all started yesterday, i was getting private calls and everytime i would pick up they would hang up.
    i didnt think nothing of it untill today
    when i answered the phone i heard a female voice tellin me how she going to kill me and she hang up the phone, she sounded really mad.
    im thinkin it could be a wrong number but what if it's not.
    she is making threats to kill me.
    who has a right to take somebodys life

i was thinking who could it be in the case it wasnt the wrong number and i realised that yesterday i reported one of the girls at work for calling me bad names for no reason, she just dont like me.
    there is people at work that could've gave her my number but im not sure.
    do u guys think if i went to police they would do something about it?
    what if they find out who it was if thats even possible ( private number) would i be able to sue her for threats ???
    what would police do?
    can i turn to police ?
    this is first time in my life that i got a phone call like that

and is it too late to go to police tomorrow since this happened today.
    when she said she was going to kill me she didnt call me no more

edit
    she had just called me again.
    saying she going to kill me again

Default Re: Someone Called Me Today and They Said They Were Going to Kill Me

when you called the police, what did they say?
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

Go to the police and file a report. It is hard to say what they'll do but probably not a lot on your first report. Continue to file reports every time it happens, assuming it continues. The hope is, with enough history you can get the police interested in the case. My personal opinion is that people mistakenly let these things ride, then go to the police and say something like this is the 50th time this has happened. To the police, it's one report. Hopefully, the person doing it will tire of it and stop, but it is best not to wait to see if that happens. Also, report the problem to the phone company. There are actions that they can take if they are so inclined.

I do not know the laws and procedures in your state, but I cannot imagine they are too much different than they are in my state of California.

Out here, you would make a report of annoying and harassing calls. The police would give you a report number and you could then get the phone company to put a "trap" on the line. At the end of a period of time, perhaps 30 days, they would fax a record of all the calls to your phone to the police and the police can match it to people you know or times that you say you received annoying or harassing calls.

In my state this is a rather low level misdemeanor. It is not likely to rise to a felony level unless the threat of harm is both credible and likely to be carried out.

At this point, I would say you have nothing to lose by calling the police and reporting what has happened. They should be able to tell you what the next steps might be. You should also let the phone company know of the problem as well.

- Carl
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns

If nothing else, having the police show up on your assailant's door asking questions will usually stop the madness.
    All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
    - Mark Twain

they just left my house, they said that its really hard to track down private numbers on cell phones.
    but they said that my phone provider need to be called and asked if they have registered incoming calls.
    so i called my phone provider after cops left and they said yes we can all they need to do is get that call from police, which will happend.
    i dont think that cop thinks its serious but he said if i get calls tomorrow to call them and they will investigate
    so i will call them tomorrow, now i hope she calls me tomorrow as well

yeah u right, police wont do much on the first report, but hey better to start reporting now than later
    and yeah my phone provider said the same thing
    they will give the number to police
    i just need to get the police to want the number
    think ill end up getting a lawyer

thanks guys

Unless your gonna sue the person why get a lawyer,hopefully the police can trace the call,if the other person gets charged they are gonna need a lawyer. If it's a prepaid cel it may hardier to find out who it is,if they have a plan the phone should be regestired to someone. There a service for home phones which rejects any incoming call if the number is private.

Also, now that you've filed a complaint with police, most carriers are willing to change your number without a service fee, should you feel inclined to do so. Some cell companies (AT&T for example), and even Vonage, will usually change numbers for you even without the report if you explicitly tell them that the reason for the change is harassing calls (these companies have customers who are billed for minutes, and customers really DEMAND to have such control over who is calling them and using up their minutes).
    Catherine NeSmith
    Executive Director
    AARDVARC.org, Inc.
    http://www.aardvarc.org

Fave Big Bang Theory site: Sheldon Cooper Fans

yeah my phone company said they wouldnt charge me cause of harrasng calls
    but usually the fee is 3.99

1. Sponsored Links