Question How Do I Get Bail Money Back After Case is Dropped

In California, in Los Angeles County, a few months ago my son was pulled over for tinted windows. The officer noticed that he had a stereo in the back seat, and asked if he could search the car. My son had nothing to hide, so he let him. The officer asked my son if it was his stereo, and my son told him it belonged to a friend. Because my son didn't have info. with him( friend's full name Phone number) he was taken to jail. His brother posted a $2,000 bail through a bail bondsman figuring this mess would be cleared up, and he would get his money back.
    My son went to court weeks later with all the necessary info. and the judge dropped everything and actually apologized for the inconvenience. They gave very little advice on how to get his bail money back. They mentioned something about having to sue the sate to get the money back. If this is the case, how does he go about doing this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: How Do I Get Bail Money Back After Case is Dropped

Are you talking about recovering the bond itself, something I would expect the bondsman to do, or are you talking about trying to get the state to reimburse him for the bondsman's fee?

Well, I'm not really sure how the bail system works. Bail was set for $20,000.00. So, It's my understanding that 10%=$2,000 was needed by the bondsman, and I'm sure there was a fee attached to that. I have read that if one uses a bondsman there is no way to recover any of the money. This makes no sense to me. One would think if that were the case, police and the bail bondsman could have a real thing going by falsely arresting innocent people and pocketing the money. I sure hope I am misunderstanding this. I would really appreciate some direction.

The 10% was probably the bondsman's fee to post a $20,000 bond with the court. The bond is refunded to the bondsman, who keeps his fee for the service of having posted the bond. You could have posted the $20,000 yourself, bypassing the bondsman, to avoid the fee - but obviously it's harder to come up with $20K than $2K (which is why people use bondsmen despite the fees).

So are you saying that even if he was falsely arrested,the $2,000 is lost forever? Where is the justice here?

Can my son sue the state to get this money back? Again, police and the bail bondsman could have a real thing going by falsely arresting innocent people and pocketing the money.

If infact you did use a bail bonds man then the money you contributed for the bail is non refundable. You would have to hire an attorney, sue the state and prove that the arrest was wrongful. Then, after a long fight, court fee's, etc you may be able to get the $2,000 back. I know, the legal system is F**** up if you ask me.

Now, if you posted the bail on your own without a bondsman, the state issues a check and mails it to the person who posted bail.

1. Sponsored Links