Default How to Lower Child Support in Texas

My question involves child support in the State of: Texas

I am new, please be patient

I have been divorced for 5 years. Lost my job 4 years ago and started small business. Business never took off but I always pay CS in full ($850.=/mo.) until last month. Last month I payd $550. My CS has been 100%-120% of my income, my girlfriend has been helping. Finances are so weak now, I can't handle it anymore. I am looking for a job (vigorously) but with no luck so far. I could not afford a lawyer at this time, if I could I would just pay the CS. My ex-wife is reacting very strongly but I will post those problems and questions in a different post. Where do I start from here, I need to act fast, the ex won't even let me have my children.

Thanks

Default Re: How to Lower Child Support in Texas

Quote Quoting WindMillChef
    View Post
    My question involves child support in the State of: Texas

I am new, please be patient

I have been divorced for 5 years. Lost my job 4 years ago and started small business. Business never took off but I always pay CS in full ($850.=/mo.) until last month. Last month I payd $550. My CS has been 100%-120% of my income, my girlfriend has been helping. Finances are so weak now, I can't handle it anymore. I am looking for a job (vigorously) but with no luck so far. I could not afford a lawyer at this time, if I could I would just pay the CS. My ex-wife is reacting very strongly but I will post those problems and questions in a different post. Where do I start from here, I need to act fast, the ex won't even let me have my children.

Thanks
    You can file for a modification if you can prove that your loss of income was involuntary.

If you have a visitation order and your ex is denying your court ordered visits, you can file to have the order enforced.

Default Re: How to Lower Child Support in Texas

Thank you Xena,

Loss of income was involuntary but it was 4 years ago. I started a business after I was terminated. Business never worked well but I always paid CS and Healthcare Insurance premiums for the kids. It is just now that I have reached a point that I can't do it anymore. Once I find a job I will pay in full again, but in the meantime? I read a lot of different things, Can I really file for a modification on my own reasonably or should it really be done by a lawyer? If it requires a lawyer; how do I retain one while in my current financial situation?

The Visitation is complicated. When we divorced we negotiated for me to have the children each Sunday from 12:00 N. - 4:00 PM. (unusual) but that I could request to have them at any other time as well. This was due to my work. The Ex agreed at the time. The anytime part never made it into the decree, her lawyer said it was unenforsable and that the judge would not go for it. I have this e-mail exchange between the Ex and her lawyer stating all of this when they wre shaping the decree. In the past 4 years I have had the kids for entire weekends (something like every other weekend, depending on both of our schedules) and when the Ex travels due to her work. We worked things out amiclably but I have never had them during the holidays. Just now that we are fighting over CS she will only let me have them for 4 hours on Sunday and said that they need to go to church and Le Cross games during that time. She is going exactly by the letter of the decree but I have documentation that we had agreed on something different. She lives 53 miles away and the sheduled full 4 hours on Sunday is almost unworkable.

1. Sponsored Links