Post Contempt of Court Over Child Support

My question involves child support in the State of: Louisiana

The ex and I had a private lawyer draw up the paper work instead of us going to court. I was asked to sign some papers acknowledging that I had to pay 400.00 a month, on top of some other stipulations that her and I agreed to.. I made a few payments and lost my job. Since then I have given her what money I could when I could do it, and she hasn't really said much about it because she understands the situation.

Her and I have a review hearing coming up, and I am sure child support will be mentioned by either her, or her lawyer. Since it's not Support Enforcement coming after me, and I wasn't ordered by a judge to pay it since it never went to court, what kind of trouble could I be in?

Any answers to this would be very appreciated.

Default Re: Contempt of Court Over Child Support

Quote Quoting Illegal
    View Post
    My question involves child support in the State of: Louisiana

The ex and I had a private lawyer draw up the paper work instead of us going to court. I was asked to sign some papers acknowledging that I had to pay 400.00 a month, on top of some other stipulations that her and I agreed to.. I made a few payments and lost my job. Since then I have given her what money I could when I could do it, and she hasn't really said much about it because she understands the situation.

Her and I have a review hearing coming up, and I am sure child support will be mentioned by either her, or her lawyer. Since it's not Support Enforcement coming after me, and I wasn't ordered by a judge to pay it since it never went to court, what kind of trouble could I be in?

Any answers to this would be very appreciated.
    Is there an existing court order?

If there is and that order was never modified and signed by a Judge, you will owe whatever amount you were court ordered to pay.

If the court determines that you do owe arrears, and your ex never recieved public assisitance, your ex can offer to forgive the arrears.

1. Sponsored Links