Default Restitution for Shoplifting

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Arizona
    My 15 yr old daughter was busted by store security at Wal-Mart for shoplifting some T-shirts. She was charged and pleaded guilty. She did some community service, and a diversion program for which we paid a fee to the county. We were contacted by a Company named Bennett Law PLLC. The company is demanding $100.00 restitution on Wal-Mart's behalf. Can they legally do that without a court order? I also question their practices. We were intially contacted via a recorded message by phone stating that it was not from a telemarketer but we needed to contact them regarding "an important financial matter". Since it sounded like a junk call, we ignored it. We recieved more of the messages and we were eventually contacted by a live person who informed us we had to pay $100.00. We requested a written letter to that effect to which they agreed. We heard nothing for some time until they called again, at that time they were rude and said that they sent a letter which we never recieved, and did not think they could send another one. Long story short, after several requests we finally did recieve a letter. I searched the company and address on a site for legal businesses in Utah and could not find them.

Default Re: Restitution for Shoplifting

Bennett Law PLLC is one of the companies WalMart uses for Loss Recovery.

What you've received is a civil demand. Not only is it legal, if you don't pay it, you can be taken to court and sued for it, plus court costs and attorney fees.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

Default Re: Restitution for Shoplifting

Quote Quoting LawResearcherMissy
    View Post
    Bennett Law PLLC is one of the companies WalMart uses for Loss Recovery.

What you've received is a civil demand. Not only is it legal, if you don't pay it, you can be taken to court and sued for it, plus court costs and attorney fees.
    Thank you!

1. Sponsored Links