Default Medical Bills and Statute of Limitations In Virginia

I have a few questions regarding medical bills. My b/f was hospitalized in July of 2005 due to first time seizures, he has slowly been paying of the bills, he just paid a $208 physician's bill (1 of 3 who was involved in his treatment), which was sent to a collection agency in February. Anyway, when he paid the bill, the lady at the office asked if he had lived a different address, he said "yeah", and she says, "Well, I believe we have bill here for you for services in 1992."....14 years ...as if he doesn't have enough to pay now, for three days in the friggin hospital last summer. Can they really pursue that bill now?

Question two....I have judgements against me from the hospital in this area, from when my son was born in 2000...how long will these show on my credit, and how long can collection be pursued?

Question three I keep having my less than $20 state tax returns withheld "by the state to offset a debt"...and I recieve financial aid in the form of pell grants to attend community college, everytime I am to receive a balance check (the unapplied funds)I end up having to call financial aid, who calls the state and informs them that they are not entitled to the funds because the funds are federal....the state complies, and sends me the hijacked funds a few days later, anyway the bills seem to be from medical bills owed to the University of Virgina hospital....I am not sure of the year, but probably from 1998 and earlier.

It's not that I did not want to pay the bills..I have just been unable to. I have never had a job that offered insurance, or paid enough to actually live off of...I have been a stay at home mom, with the exception of a few part-time jobs since 1999, and I have been attending college full-time since 2004...I don't want the first decent paying job I have end up being nothing but to pay old medical bills. Additionally, a lot of employers run credit checks on applicants, and I don't want that mess to screw me out of a good job.

Default Re: Medical Bills (SOL In Virginia)

Quote Quoting CreditCardCollection
    14 years ...as if he doesn't have enough to pay now... Can they really pursue that bill now?
    They can ask that he pay it. But the statute of limitations presumably has run, such that they could not collect it through a legal action and such that he can send them notice under the FDCPA that they should no longer contact him in relation to an uncollectable debt.

Question two....I have judgements against me from the hospital in this area, from when my son was born in 2000...how long will these show on my credit, and how long can collection be pursued?
    In Virginia, it appears that a judgment can be enforced for 20 years after its entry.

Question three I keep having my less than $20 state tax returns withheld "by the state to offset a debt"... the bills seem to be from medical bills owed to the University of Virgina hospital....I am not sure of the year, but probably from 1998 and earlier.
    You're going to have to figure out what the debt is and to whom it is owed before you can figure out whether or not it can be collected, or whether and when a statute of limitations might apply.

Default Medical Bills

So basically, if they (the creditors) take to long pursuing legal action (going to court and having a judgement entered against you), they cannot get any money from you after a the SOL has passed....have they figured that out yet? I think some have...that is why accounts are "sold" to other collection agencies...oh,, and part of the judgement placed against me is owed to a doctor's office which was sued for malpractice and has gone out of business, can that part of the debt still be pursued?

If there is a judgment, the judgment debt can be collected by whomever owns it.

ok. thank you.

1. Sponsored Links