Default What is Considered Child Abandonment

i split up from my x husband back in 2003,our divorce was finalized in 2005. he has not seen the children since 2003, he hasnt written or phoned in about 4yrs. There is no court ordered child support because i was on state aid at the time & they were opening a case but i closed the case due to moving to a different state ( i was advised by the DA to do this) but i never reopened the case in the new state. So would this be consiered abandonment in the state of Ca? and if so is there anything i can do with this?

Default Re: What is Considered Child Abandonment

So would this be consiered abandonment in the state of Ca?
    That depends. Does he have your current contact information?

and if so is there anything i can do with this?
    What do you want to do with it? It would help if you let us know your intentions.

Why didn't you re-open the support case?
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

yes, hes always had my adress.

im not sure what i want to do with it, my kids want to be adopted by their stepdad but im afraid to take him to court for anything...thats also why i didn't re-open my support case.

if my x ends up getting SSI, ive heard the kids will also get SSI from the state too. is this true? and if they are entitled to it does that count as support?

Quote Quoting patrioticraven
    View Post
    if my x ends up getting SSI, ive heard the kids will also get SSI from the state too. is this true? and if they are entitled to it does that count as support?
    I'm addressing only this part of your post. If your ex does recieve SSI only, no your children will not recieve any benefits.

However, if ex recieves SSDI, yes your children would be able to recieve some benefits.

So, you'll need to find out which benefit ex will be recieving, SSI, or SSDI.

In the state of CA, if a parent does not have any contact with child(ren) of any type (phone, messages, seeing, etc) for 1 year, then you can file an abandonment. You can then have your husband file for stepparent adoption. You will have to try to serve the other parent with papers, if you know their address. If you don't I think the next step is to have it published in a court approved newspaper. There are facilitator offices all over CA, try to find one or a free legal help. They don't give you advice, but give you the information like which papers to fill out for what. Good luck!

1. Sponsored Links