Default Food Stamp Fraud

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Virginia My husband is in the navy... We split up back in 07 for about a year and I applied and for and got food stamps for that year. but now i'm getting investigated for that year because they think he was living with me. The thing is that he was living with a friend at an apt. but he never got on the lease. so he has no proff that he was staying at his friends house and not at mine. what do we do?

Default Re: Food Stamp Faud

He kept his driver's license address as your home? He didn't forward his mail? His credit card bills went to your home? His bank statements? His insurance? His vehicle registration? His contact address for work was your home? He paid no rent at the other place, such that there may be monthly checks? He didn't buy furniture? He didn't pay for cable or utilities at the new place? He didn't have people from work visit him at his apartment?

Surely there's something that would indicate that he was living outside of your home.

he didnt change any bills to his other address because all he did was pay for groceries. when i went to get food stamp i told them that he would be paying for my rent and bills...we live in military housing so you pay rent all the bills are included. We have two small children so i could afford to go to work and pay daycare because i'd just be working to pay daycare. They knew that. All i did was apply and they approved me. Now they are saying that since I lived in military housing they might press charges against us both. I only received food stamps for that one year and he wasn't living with me. When they sent a letter to renew the food stamps i didnt go back to renew them because i thought we were going to get back together and we did. so i didnt need to renew them. The big problem is that he's in the Navy and we dont want them to cause problems at his command. The investigator said she was going to get NCIS involved and call his command . I so stressed out because if they start going to even ask questions in his command he could get in really big trouble... The food stamp place is calling it fraud. And we didnt even do anything wrong.

It amazes me that nobody in the entire world was aware of this arrangement other than you, your spouse and his roommate. I suggest that you and your spouse retain lawyers.

Default Re: Food Stamp Fraud

Yess my friends knew and like a couple of his friends knew that we weren't together at the time. but the investigator said that that isn't enough . we can give them all our friends numbers and my husband will give them the people at his command number who knew but of course his commanding offices didnt know about it because ...well your not suppose to take your problems to the job. Plus in the military higher ranked people dont become friends with lower ranked people. Those are navy rules so people dont get moved up from rank just because you hang out with an higher ranked group.

also we live in Virginia and all our family is in Texas. Of course i will give them my brother and my best friends number and every single person in the world number that knew we werent together but that lady said they need proof and that isnt good enough for her. Seriously i dont know what she wants us to show her beside people conforming that we weren't together I would tell her to come ask the neighbors but like i said we live in military housing and everybody who lived next to us that year has moved already. the only thing left i can think of is that every time something in the unit messed up like the shower wouldn't drain or the dish washer stopped working i called to make the request for housing to come fix it. And he was never here i was always by my self. So maybe the maintenance people from military housing can say i was by myself everytime they came to fix something. And the call center probably has on record that i'm the one who called to request somebody to come out to fix things. but that all i can think of that could help. but i dont know if the lady will take it because i swear she really thinks we're lying.

Also he is in the military so his state of residency is "Texas" even though we live in Virginia so all our stuff including our driver license and vehicle registration (which under his name only) is from Texas by law we can keep all that stuff under Texas. Because technically we are Texas residents, werent not even registered to vote here in Virginia. Seriously if anybody can give me some advice I will thankfully take it. Any ideas what else to do?

okay so the investigator just called me right now and said that she is no longer gonna investigate us but that I have to pay the food stamp back due to AGENCY ERROR because I should have not been approved when i applied back in 07. But now I'm thinking why should i have to pay it back if they approved me now cause they changed their minds I have to pay it back. Why? I was stressed but now I'm mad cause why do i have to pay it back if they approved me?

Exclamation Re: Food Stamp Fraud

You should be relieved that they are not going to do more than ask for the money back. You tried to beat the system - you got caught. You were not legally entitled to receive the food stamps because you were legally married. Your husband had a paying job with benefits that include housing, medical etc.

I will gladly paid that money back...thats not the big problem. The problem is that i kind of think it's a trap because she said she gonna send me papers to sign saying i'll be paying it back. I think that maybe if i sign them then i'll be saying she is right. First she said i was lying when i got the food stamps now she saying it was agency error. I think i'm gonna take whatever she wants me to sign to a lawyer before signing it. Becuase i told the truth when i went and applied, i told them that i would be living in military housing with rent paid. I didnt lie. She said that she would send me a letter right when i told her as long as it saying they messed up not that i lied i would pay it back. but then she said she was gonna send me a letter and it would be up to me to sign it or not. she didnt say " the letter will say its Angecy Error on it " If i sign something that doesnt say it was agency error on it they can take probably say "look she sign this letter confroming she has to pay it back thus proofing that she was lying. I'm not gonna sign anything unless it says they messed up by giving it to me( in big bold letter) Becuase I thought i could use the food stamps since that gave it to me. So i think ince they really have nothing on me she's trying to trick me into something. I dont know she seemed shady. I told the truth when i got food stamps, i told them where i was living , that his bah would pay for housing and that we just seperated. and thats the truth. i said all that , i never withheld info or anything. and they approved me with all that information.

1. Sponsored Links