Unhappy Penalty for Not Paying Restitution While on Probation

My question involves criminal law for the state of: West Virginia

My boyfriend (26 year old, male) got put on probation in 2005 for saying he was married on his FAFSA to get more money. The University found out and he was sentenced to 5 years probation. He had been on probation for 2 1/2 years until it was either he pay his restitution or we not have a roof over our heads. He skipped 5 months of paying restitution. 2 months after he started paying again and had been paying more to catch up, he had a court date. The judge sentenced him to 1 year and 1 day in prison in a Morgantown facility. Isn't that a little harsh? Could he possibly be lying to me about why he got sentenced so harshly? His lawyer asked for Home Confinement but the judge said that would be a slap on the wrist. Someone please help me ease my conscience.

Default Re: Penalty for Not Paying Restitution While on Probation

Failure to pay restitution can end you up in jail or prison. He violated one of the terms of his probation. Failure to pay, which I would not be surprized if a warrant was issued for this. His PO most likely violated his probation. Which usually means you go to jail or prison depending on how much time he has to do.

Usually when you violate probation or parole, you go back to jail or prison and finish your sentence.

I think your better off to find someone that does not have a criminal record. But that is just my opinion.

1. Sponsored Links