Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is this entrapment?

I am in Illinois.

I was traveling in the middle lane going 55 in a 55 zone. A police officer then passes me on my left. I change lanes and follow him. The officer increases his speed and I match him. Remember, I am currently BEHIND the officer. I looked down at one point and saw that the officer was going nearly 80 in the 55 zone. It should be noted that the officer did not have his lights on and there was nobody infront of him to follow. The officer then made a very unsafe lane change, without signaling. This startled me so i began to slow down. The officer then slammed on his breaks, I passed him on the left and when I passed him I know for a fact I was going 55. He then zipped behind me and pulled me over. From what I understand this is entrapment. Anyone have any advice?

It should also be noted that I have never had a moving violation.

Thanks

Default Speeding Entrapment

It isn't entrapment.

Have to agree with Aaron here...the difference between what happened and entrapment is entrapment is where they induce you to violate the law as compared to merely presenting you the opportunity.

What FORCED you to follow him at that speed?!

Default I see?

I have thought about such a situation a few times, and I have always been told that speeding police might be going to a call. If someone does follow them, and they pull them over for speeding, can the offender charge the police officer with speeding, as well? Perhaps, the offender took down a couple of plate numbers of people who would agree to the situation. Can citizens file charges against police officers? Not just the unchecked calls to the supervisor, but real traffic charges.? I just wanted to know. thanks, Scott

No, the crony system is alive and well, meaning, only the DA can charge...

You can file a complaint with the police agency, aka, the fox guarding the henhouse, but the beef will stay in the cops jacket for his entire career

Dave,

Thanks for the quick response. I have come to the same conclusion myself, but too stubborn to admit it. I have heard, directly from policeman, that citizens can detain and charge people, but I figured it didn't mean them. Anyways, the police force in my area seem to be very level headed. I guess it pays to hire college grads. My short 1.5 year stay in Houston exposed me to some of the most flagrant police lawbreakers that I have ever seen. I sure am glad I don't live there anymore. Actually, when I moved from there, the guys that I payed to load my truck stole about 1k worth of stuff from me. When I reported it to police down there, the guy put me off for a month (while his wife had a baby), then when he came back, he called the guy and asked if he took my stuff. Thanks Houston PD! Talk about crooked. Anyways, I do appreciate the straight-up response! Keep it up! :shock:

Default Re: I see?

Quote Quoting pimpin72
    If someone does follow them, and they pull them over for speeding, can the offender charge the police officer with speeding, as well?
    This would depend on your state's laws. In CA you could, 'in theory', place the officer under citizen's arrest. In reality that wouldn't happen. If it WERE permitted, we'd be having to deal with that kind of issue all the time as people try to obfuscate their own offense.

They would be two different matters.

Can citizens file charges against police officers? Not just the unchecked calls to the supervisor, but real traffic charges.? I just wanted to know. thanks, Scott
    It depends on state law. In some states, people can go down to the court and "swear out" a warrant. It's not likely that any such complaint would go anywhere in a criminal court. As a personnel complaint, it is more likely to result in action than as a criminal one.

- Carl

Quote Quoting DaveBis
    You can file a complaint with the police agency, aka, the fox guarding the henhouse, but the beef will stay in the cops jacket for his entire career
    This may be another state dependent issue. In CA the statute has been for it to remain for five years. However, it may be raised in the near future depending on the results of some court cases winding their way through the system.

Some agencies purge after 5 years ... others after 7 ... and a few may even hold on to those records until the officer leaves. But 5 is the minimum required amount of time if I recall correctly.

- Carl

I'm pretty sure that for a "citizen's arrest", you need to have witnessed the person commiting a crime and most times it needs to have been a felony. if you're speedometer isn't officially calibrated, you won't be able to claim that anyone was speeding. I agree with them that it's definitely not entrapment.

Quote Quoting GreatGadsby
    I'm pretty sure that for a "citizen's arrest", if you're speedometer isn't officially calibrated, you won't be able to claim that anyone was speeding.
    If I go to court, and tell the DA that I was trailing the policeman for a couple of miles (perhaps with witnesses), doesn't my ticket serve as the speed detector? When I was younger, I had the misconception that, as long as I don't pass the cop, I am OK, but I found that they use this tactic to lure people into speeding, so they can give them a ticket, so I don't do it anymore.

Since them days, I have wised up alot about eluding cops. If you want to know the secrets, let me know. Thanks for all the good advice. I never have thought of these situations in these ways before. Thanks for your time!!

Scott

1. Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast