Smile Legally Seperated and Pregnant - Can I Put My Boyfriend on the Birth Certificate

My question involves paternity law for the State of: California and/or North Carolina.

I am legally seperated from my husband in California and now reside in North Carolina with my boyfriend. I am pregnant by my boyfriend (we are 110% sure it is boyfriends baby b/c I haven't been with husband in a long, long time). My husband has agreed to remain married to me so I can stay on his insurance plan to have this baby. We are great friends and everything is amicable, but just know that we are not meant to be together.

My question is, can I put my boyfriend on the Birth Certificate? My husband and I will finalize the divorce after I have the baby. This makes it much more financially possible for me to have the baby.

Can anyone offer suggestions, advice, help? Thanks!

Default Re: Legally Seperated and Pregnant - Can I Put My Boyfriend on the Birth Certificate

Pursuant to N.C.G.S. 130A-101, a married woman's husband is to be named on the birth certificate as a child's father, unless a court has issued an order holding that somebody else is the father.

Default Re: Legally Seperated and Pregnant - Can I Put My Boyfriend on the Birth Certificate

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    Pursuant to N.C.G.S. 130A-101, a married woman's husband is to be named on the birth certificate as a child's father, unless a court has issued an order holding that somebody else is the father.

True that the husband would initially be the official father.

I'm not a lawyer, but I did extensive research on this recently.
    As of a California law passed in I think 2006, (and 7 other states) any person may challenge patternity with a DNA test, at any time. That includes the boyfriend. Get a court order for the DNA test, though it might not be necessary if the husband just signs the addoption papers. DNA test is good to prove to the kid who is biological father is.

1. Sponsored Links