Default North Carolina Right of Way to Landlocked Property

I am looking to buy some rural land in Western North Carolina. There are 2 parcels for sale adjacent to each other, a 7 acre and 3 acre plot. The 7 acre plot has an existing right of way. The realtor and real estate attorney have indicated that the right of way is only for the 7 acres and cannot be used for the 3 acre plot (the plot we are looking at buying). The ROW stops about 150 ft too short to access the 3 acre plot. The owner of the 7 acre plot has tried to sell a small portion of his land to extend the ROW to the 3 acre plot, but was told that it still could not be used for a ROW to the 3 acre land. Is this true? The owner of the land where the ROW is on, may not allow me to extend the ROW. This is the only feasible access to the 3 acre property, the other option would be much more difficult and unreasonable as would involve a long road around and crossing a creek. What options do I have?

Default Re: North Carolina Right of Way to Landlocked Property

We have no way of knowing who told you that the extension could not be used as a right of way, or what their reasoning is. Try asking that person or, probably better, consult a real estate professional with the specifics.

Quote Quoting GoHeels247
    View Post
    I am looking to buy some rural land in Western North Carolina.
    If you spend some time reading through the posts on this forum I think you will come to the same conclusion as I do, "Don't do it, pull out of the purchase and run as fast as you can!"

I currently have a ROW to my house and it's been nothing but problems. The biggest problem is it's very hard to get any support from town/county/police for issues with the ROW and others that use it. I have already told all the kids if they ever buy with a ROW either that they have use of or that others have use of across their property that I will disown them. In my opinion no property is a good enough deal to ever get involved in a ROW again. But that's just my 2 cents, so use it as you will.

I agree that if this can't be pinned down with total, legal assurance "We have a right of way", you should walk away. I also agree that private rights of way (while common, and usually pretty reasonably handled) can lead to a wide range of disputes, particularly over the scope of use, maintenance, access and gating, many of which are exemplified by posts in this forum.

I agree with XYZO completely!!
    Run, run, run as fast as you can away from this deal. There are others.
    We are being sued for 25 million dollars over an easement that runs through our property by the new owners of the landlocked property. Do not buy property with an easement either way - easement for you to use or easement through your land. It isn't worth it!!! Good Luck.

1. Sponsored Links