Default Check Fraud After Stop Payment

My question involves criminal law for the state of: California, specifically Los Angeles County/City

I (located in Los Angeles, CA) got trapped into a door salesman deal for magazine subscriptions. I paid the $60 with a check from my CA bank account. The company (offices located in Florida and incorporated in TX according to their website) turned out to be very shady and has a history (name changed because company was connected to rape, burglary and death of a salesman (as ironic as it sounds)). I canceled the subscription immediately (the day i bought it) and sent the cancellation via certified mail (I have the slip with the address on it and a receipt with city and zip code).

I called multiple times (9 in total so far with family present for about 4 of them) and they supposedly received the cancellation and destroyed the check. They will also not sent me a written confirmation of the cancellation. I have notes about every call and can prove with my cell phone records that i called at least trice.

They took the address from the check rather than the one i provided and do not want new address. I am not sure if I put a stop payment on the check because my bank is not being very helpful. There were no stop payment fees on my account and customer service was very unhelpful among at least 20 times i called (banking center and customer service), talked to online chat and emailed them. There were always sufficient funds in the account and there was a clear overcharge for the subscription. There was no intention on my part to defraud the company, they could have taken the money and I would have been okay with it. The stop payment may have been a panic reaction on my part to protect my account.

If the company does file charges, what could be the punishment? Or is the check amount too low?

It sounds paranoid, but I am not in the mood for more stress at the moment

Default Re: Check Fraud-Stop Payment

Quote Quoting Biest
    View Post
    My question involves criminal law for the state of: California, specifically Los Angeles County/City

I (located in Los Angeles, CA) got trapped into a door salesman deal for magazine subscriptions. I paid the $60 with a check from my CA bank account. The company (offices located in Florida and incorporated in TX according to their website) turned out to be very shady and has a history (name changed because company was connected to rape, burglary and death of a salesman (as ironic as it sounds)). I canceled the subscription immediately (the day i bought it) and sent the cancellation via certified mail (I have the slip with the address on it and a receipt with city and zip code).

I called multiple times (9 in total so far with family present for about 4 of them) and they supposedly received the cancellation and destroyed the check. They will also not sent me a written confirmation of the cancellation. I have notes about every call and can prove with my cell phone records that i called at least trice.

They took the address from the check rather than the one i provided and do not want new address. I am not sure if I put a stop payment on the check because my bank is not being very helpful. There were no stop payment fees on my account and customer service was very unhelpful among at least 20 times i called (banking center and customer service), talked to online chat and emailed them. There were always sufficient funds in the account and there was a clear overcharge for the subscription. There was no intention on my part to defraud the company, they could have taken the money and I would have been okay with it. The stop payment may have been a panic reaction on my part to protect my account.

If the company does file charges, what could be the punishment? Or is the check amount too low?

It sounds paranoid, but I am not in the mood for more stress at the moment
    Your rambling post is very unclear. Did you place a stop on the check? Was there an attempt to cash the check?

Default Re: Check Fraud-Stop Payment

Quote Quoting Antigone
    View Post
    Your rambling post is very unclear. Did you place a stop on the check? Was there an attempt to cash the check?
    Sorry for the language.

I am not sure. The bank says no, but there is a lot of redirecting to different places in customer service, for example online chat customer service tells me to call phone customer service, subsequently phone customer service tell me to go/call bank and the bank tells me to call phone customer service.

As far as my bank and the company tell me there was not, but because of their reputation I do not trust their statement and the bank has proven less than helpful.

1. Sponsored Links