Question Maryland Baltimore City Expungement

I live in Maryland.

I was given a misdemeanor charge in Baltimore city for possession of a concealed handgun without a permit. I was charged with a misdemeanor because I have no felony's and no violent crime history. When can I get this expunged from my criminal record so employers can not see this charge when doing background checks?

Default Re: Maryland Baltimore City Expungement

You're probably not eligible for expungement; but you didn't state what your conviction was so we can't be sure. Read this brochure (PDF).

Question Re: Maryland Baltimore City Expungement

Quote Quoting Mr. Knowitall
    View Post
    You're probably not eligible for expungement; but you didn't state what your conviction was so we can't be sure. Read this brochure (PDF).

I was convicted for carrying a concealed handgun without a permit in Baltimore city. If I am not eligible for expungement, how is a person who has learned their lesson and wants to become a law abiding citizen supposed to earn a decent living when all the employers who pay good money do background checks these days? It is impossible to find an employer these days who pays more than $13 an hour but yet does not do a background check. A person cannot live on $13 an hour and raise a family these days it is getting even harder to live off of $20 an hour or $40,000 per year. Before my conviction I was earning about $50,000 per year as a business telephone system technician. It has been impossible to get back into this field of work because all the employers want to do background checks. No employer is going to hire me when they see this conviction on my background report, because of this I've been forced to work for far less money. Is our legal system really set up to brand/label people for the rest of their lives? I just want to put this behind me and start over. If there is no way I can hide this conviction from employers after a certain amount of time this will be a devastating blow. What's a person supposed to do?

Default Re: Maryland Baltimore City Expungement

If there is no way I can hide this conviction from employers after a certain amount of time this will be a devastating blow. What's a person supposed to do?
    The court's stance is "Don't break the law to begin with." Harsh, but that's the attitude.

Although many employers do insist on background checks, that doesn't mean you're permanently barred from better employment. Disclose the conviction - and the circumstances surrounding the conviction - up front with the hiring manager. The fact that it's a misdemeanor may be quite helpful - most employers are looking for felony convictions.
    I'm not a lawyer, but I play a researcher on the internet!
    Caution: I bite. WARNING: Do not send questions or complaints by PM. I'm likely to post them publicly and embarrass you half to death.
    I'm training for the MS Society's Bike to the Bay - and blogging about it!

1. Sponsored Links